Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Wow. Impressive indeed. Now is the time to pickle the summer goodness. Cheers!

5 Likes

Hey, maybe it’s just…a catnip toy? :tiger: :smile_cat:

6 Likes

I like the idea that they are communion wafers myself.
Dinner tonight was a clear-out-the-produce frittata. Green beans, leeks, potatoes, broccoli, red peppers and the very end of the Canadian bacon used for the Benedicts.

5 Likes

heh heh

(For a minute a while back I was gonna guess pizzas, but then I remembered that they didn’t have tomatoes…)

Crumpets and jam?

4 Likes

Our injeera is getting better. Tried this batch with teff, some yogurt and a little (homemade) self-rising flour. Texture is just about there, but could use a little more sour to it…

17 Likes

that looks really good! I have been wanting to try to make injeera, but it seems difficult and I am no slouch in the kitchen (sez me). how long did you let the batter “sour”? can you keep a “mother” starter and it gets more sour over time, like @jlw 's sourdough? did you cook it on a griddle or in a skillet?
so many questions!

8 Likes

So we mixed the teff, yeast, water and some yogurt and let it sit about 48 hrs. The yogurt we supposed to speed up the process so you could do it in just 24 hrs, but we did it 48 anyhow. About an hour before, we added the 1c of self-rising flour mix we made and some water. Then re-covered for an hour.

As I mentioned, I would have liked it a bit more sour, but it was still quite good. We’ve been trying to resist using a sourdough starter, but that might actually be the key to getting it sour enough.

To cook, I just poured enough in a non-stick skillet to get the thickness I wanted. Cooked until kinda close to done, cover to steam for a minute or so.

EDIT: If you scroll up, @Gyrofrog (well, his wife, specifically) had some great tips last time I posted about it back in February…

9 Likes

Finally made some of the Italian black rice I bought last year. Very nice flavor. It looked great under some seared scallops, sautéed zucchini and hollandaise.

6 Likes

I have more kale than I need, and I’m soon to have more lettuce than I need:

I eat salad fairly regularly, but there’s only so much salad that you can eat. And the kale seems to grow faster than I can eat it…

So: what are some tasty non-salad recipes that make heavy use of leafy greens?

13 Likes

Gumbo Z’herbes. If you’ve never tried it before, prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

6 Likes

There’s a restaurant (well, wine bar) near us that used to have a black rice risotto… So good

4 Likes

Kale goes well in soups and stews and stays much longer then lettuce. Lettuce wraps could be a non salad use for your surplus.

I accidentally came up with a nice kale based soup while trying to make a simmered cod dish. By adding more chicken stock then needed I found it went from a tasty thin sauce to a tasty soup.

2 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 medium onions roughly chopped.
1 bunch kale shredded, stems removed.
4 tsp dry vermouth.
Salt and pepper to taste
4 small cod filets cut small (optional)

10 Likes

Kale is good sautéed, stir fried or wilted. I know a lot of people who like it in a smoothie. And kale chips aren’t half bad. It’s also the traditional green to use in colcannon. I’ve also seen it used to make kimchi and sauerkraut.

In a lot of cases you can just sort of substitute it for cabbage.

Lettuce. Is just kinda lettuce. I know it gets used in soup in some cuisines, and heartier types can be grilled. So apparently it can be cooked, dunno that that neccisarily works with all types though.

ETA: Oh and how are you harvesting it? The proper way to do lettuce so as not to have an entire garden of heads all at the same time followed by no lettuce at all is to harvest just the outer, more mature leaves. You don’t cut/pull the whole head. The head should continue to grow, with the next layer of leaves developing and replacements coming up the center.

They get kinda stalky by the end of the season. You can do the same thing with the kale. That might help mitigate.

11 Likes

kale cooked into lentils is very good.
kale as a side green is awesome when you put some dark
sesame oil and minced garlic into a wok (or deepish skillet?) get it hot and toss in your fresh kale leaves (cut into manageable bites) and cover and toss, toss, toss over the heat until the kale gets wilted and a little dark green. that’s when you squeeze in fresh lemon, lime (or key lime, if you can get them!), toss and deglaze pow!… yup, gud!

11 Likes

Kale chips! They are addictive.

They also keep really well if you let them cool and put them in an airtight container. Great snack for hiking trips, as they are really light weight.

12 Likes

A few months ago I got sucked into this wonderful series about street/market/cheap food in South America. Beautiful.

https://www.netflix.com/au/title/81249660

The first episode had a wonderful couple working in a market in Argentina who made potato, cheese and ham frittatas. This is my attempt to copy what I saw - cubes of fried potato mixed with sautéd onion and garlic, with a layer of grated cheese and thinly sliced ham, covered with egg and parsley seasoned with salt and pepper and then stuck in the oven for 35~ish minutes.

No modesty of any kind (false or otherwise) whatever - this was fantastic.

16 Likes

Cooking fresh peas (although frozen works just as well) on a bed of shredded lettuce is a great way to get the best out of peas. Shred half a head of lettuce, rinse and then put in a small saucepan; cover with a cup or more of washed and wet freshly prodded (or frozen) peas, a knob of butter and some fresh mint, salt and pepper. Lid on, bring to heat and steam gently for about 10-15 mins. The lettuce collapses and the peas taste way more like peas than if they’re just boiled or nuked.

8 Likes

I’m back on the salad kick. Forgot to snap a pick, but it was so good, had to mention it here. Peeled and halved a couple pears and made a divot in the middle by removing seeds and core. Filled that with a mix of toasted chopped walnuts, crumbled blue cheese and dried cranberries.
Mixed about 3/4 cup apple cider with 3 T port and 1/4 C brown sugar. Poured that over the filled pears and baked them for about 30 minutes at 375 F, basting a couple times.
Then put the cooked filled pears on a bed of arugula, whisked 1/4 C olive oil into the poaching liquid and used that as a dressing.
A true autumn delight!

10 Likes

My better half says “good job!” She was really puzzled by the use of yogurt – e.g. it couldn’t be yetsom – and thought you’d be better off with a sourdough starter. But then she saw the photo and was really impressed! “He’s got it!” (The thing with the starter is that, if you make injera all the time, you use it all the time, and don’t have to fret about it sitting around too long – but if you’re like me and had a starter for sourdough loaves, 4 months into the pandemic you end up chucking the moldy mess.)

Seconded. I made this a while back, and it was a lot of effort – I had two big pots going at once to hold all the greens. At first I was disappointed with the result, but then threw in some hot sauce (Crystal) and it was like alchemy. But a great idea if you’ve got that many green vegetables. (I’ve read you’re supposed to use an odd number of types of greens, e.g. 1 kale + 1 watercress + 1 lettuce = 3 kinds.)

Problem was making room for all of that in the fridge, and I was the only one who’d eat it.

Throw in some chopped onion, and maybe some jalepeno, hit up @thekaz for some injera, and you’ve got a plate of gomen. You could chop in some beef and have gomen besigga. My wife usually uses kale (collards are too tough and bitter for gomen).

Yes, also slice in some sausage. I had a recipe for this and now I can’t remember where I found it, though there wasn’t a whole lot to it.

I didn't have anything like any of these things tonight (EDIT: except there was a green vegetable) -- I finally got around to trying this recipe for coconut chickpea curry from a few months ago. It's very tasty and really easy, if not quick (I wanted it to cook down a while).
10 Likes

This is one of our go-to kale recipes:

We probably leave a little more of the oil than directed. It says it makes 6 servings, but that’s as a side. We can easily eat almost the whole recipe for dinner, over rice or cous cous. The crispy garlic really makes it, but stay close, as it goes from perfect golden toasty to burnt bitter chips pretty quickly.
10 Likes