Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

049c8fbe-05b2-45de-9281-2f617552ef7f_text

5 Likes

At least the steak spoon is always easy to identify.

9 Likes

Grilling squid. Chinatown, Bangkok

8 Likes

I think that’s a knork

5 Likes

robin williams vintage GIF

5 Likes

TIL there is a Wikipedia entry on combination eating utensils. There are so many.

10 Likes

I think I meant to say Knoon, not Knork.

7 Likes

grapefruit spoon.
my family had them growing up because papi loves him some ruby reds! so sophisticated, mi papi.

9 Likes

And a good thing to have at hand if you need to improvise the odd appendectomy.

8 Likes

notwiselybuttoowell

Mont-Blanc Style Verrines (Vegan)
recipe is in French btw

7 Likes

I once defined a spork as a combination spoon and fork which works well as neither one, and will stab your mouth.

Now, I could really do myself a serious mischief and make a big mess tryinta use this titanium thingy. FFS
It costs $21, and you can have one line of text engraved on your titanium knifely spork (Knispork? Sporkife? Forknifoon?!) for $6.99 Joy!

10 Likes

I concur with your diagnosis. I know fudge history as it’s often attributed to my alma mater of Vassar, though it probably started elsewhere. Students illicitly cooked it at night in their rooms by hijacking gas lights for the purpose.

The recipe at the link is pretty close to the one cited above.

ETA: Maybe it was similar enough to ganache that he wanted to call it that? If he’s in the restaurant trade, I imagine you could charge much more for something called ganache versus fudge, even if the ingredients were identical.

5 Likes

Maybe because it’s not beaten? I think the marshmallow filling ingredient imparts a fudge-like texture without the need to beat it.

8 Likes

Tried out the new stand mixer to make some pizza dough for our New Year’s Eve dinner before we fall asleep. It turned out nice.

I saw the fudge talk, my wife has been making fudge forever, her recipe involves marshmallows.

Heat all the ingredients in a big pot and then take it off the heat and add the marshmallows.

But, you have to stir fast and for several minutes to incorporate the marshmallows before it all sets up. Gonna try the mixer next time.

While it’s still soft enough to pour it goes into a rectangle cake pan where it sets up quickly.

It’s good stuff especially when you spread peanut butter on top.

7 Likes

We are having pizza tonight also.
What was your topping?

4 Likes

We’re grazing all night so we kept it light and simple, just some bacon and cheese.

We have to pace ourselves because desert is a Sanders Bumpy Cake, which is a Detroit area delicacy sincerely 1912 and this is probably maybe the last year they’ll be available for some time.

7 Likes

I didn’t take a picture, but last night I decided to cook myself a ribeye to celebrate being done with school, and I decided to try a new (to me) method. Usually, I just cook it in a carbon steel pan on fairly high heat, and then baste with butter. And it’s good, but it’s hard to get the doneness the way I like it. So I knew about searing it on super high heat, and then finishing it off in the oven, so I decided to try that. OMG, I am 55 years old, and I think that might have been the best steak I have ever eaten in my entire life. I had the pan ripping hot with just a little oil in it, seasoned the steak with just salt and pepper, and dropped it in the pan. I seared it on both sides for just maybe 1-2 minutes a side, then I just moved the pan to a 400 degree oven, and left it in there for maybe 8, 9 minutes, pulled it out, put it back on the stove at medium heat and basted it with butter. It was so good. I ate half of it last night, and the rest of it was still amazing as leftovers tonight. I will never cook steak any other way ever again.

11 Likes

Using a sous vide circulator did the same for me-rarely using any other method any more.

4 Likes

Yeah, part of me wants to try that, but I’m not sure what else I would use a sous vide thingy for, so I haven’t been able to justify buying one. I eat steak maybe once every 2 or 3 months, and I really shouldn’t be eating it at all, but I love it too much to completely cut it out of my diet.

4 Likes

I use it for a few other proteins, I’ve done corn and carrots and they came out well. It takes up very little space and does that one thing really well. If you can find one on sale, or for less on eBay, or ask as a present-go for it.

3 Likes