Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Agreed about the karaage!

I haven’t had too much trouble with potato starch as a thickener. I just use half the amout as corn starch, plus it activates at a lower temperature, which is handy!

6 Likes

Does anybody know a good brand for burrito sized flour tortillas? I know I could make my own, but I’m trying to make it easier for me to eat healthier, and making my own tortillas is going to make me less likely to do that. I like Chipotle’s burritos, but they’re not really all that healthy, partly because they just overstuff them. Anyway, I made my own chicken burrito today, just using Chi-Chi’s tortillas, and, just like Mission, they’re way too thick.

6 Likes

If you’re in TX, HEB tortillas are surprisingly good. They’re our go to.

7 Likes

I don’t think Instacart will drive from Texas to New Jersey, sadly. /s

3 Likes

Well, with that price tag, you won’t get them often and it would keep you eating healthier :smiley:

Before we discovered those, Mission was what we used to get. I think that’s national.

5 Likes

i use Mission burrito size tortillas, always. they work just fine, but you need to warm them in a large dry skillet (unless you have a comal) before rolling up your goodies.
a hot tortilla is a wonderful thing!

4 Likes

I do warm them up. They’re still too thick for my liking. It makes the burrito too bready. The best part of Chipotle’s burritos are the almost paper thin tortillas. It’s not about the ease of wrapping it for me. It’s about making the thing too bready.

6 Likes

haven’t had that many Chipotle burritos to know about super thin tortillas. maybe my largely overstuffed breakfast burritos have a high fill-to-bread ratio.
i will be on the lookut for something thinner in a burrito wrap.

8 Likes

I don’t think they start with thinner tortillas. I think it’s a combination of heating the tortilla and stretching the tortilla over that overstuffed filling. I’m far from an expert, though.

4 Likes

They are really easy to make and freeze well. That way you can make them wafer thin!

3 Likes

At the request of the other human in the house, I made buckeyes today. I may have found something that triggers my GERD even more than donuts. I’m glad she likes them, because I’m not going to be eating any more. And I made them with Swerve, a sugar substitute! It’s not even real sugar, and it set off my GERD.

6 Likes

Sugar sets off GERD?

3 Likes

It does for me

4 Likes

Thai green curry chicken (instant pot) with sticky rice:

Loose recipe here:

11 Likes

If you have a decent Middle Eastern grocery store available, try Lavash bread?

food-lavash-bread-gandhill-bakery

It’s as thin as a burrito tortilla (or at least the brand I get, Ghandill Bakery):

and works very well as a burrito or other wrappy thing. I steam it (microwave 30 seconds in bag with damp paper towel), then fill, roll, and (optionally) toast both sides on flat top/skillet/panni press.

And they’re huge! The bag above is 18" x 18", the bread inside is folded; full size is ~24" x ~32". I get two mega burritos from one sheet, with plenty of material to keep all the good stuff inside, even when using wetter ingredients. ~$4 / 3-sheet bag. Bargain.

In Toronto, so that’s CDN$. Sadly, even more expensive Instacart fees. :disappointed:

9 Likes

I love my Cookbooks . Many are family hand me downs, some Flea market finds. ( less than half of my cookbooks

13 Likes

You keep your Old Bay seasoning on the bookshelf?

5 Likes

So I grew a bunch of ginger, and @atteSmythe provided rough instructions for ginger syrup, and now there is this:

ca. 400ml of ginger syrup

I don’t think I used enough ginger. It’s tasty but without the burn I was expecting. Still happy with my first attempt!

11 Likes

It looks right to me! And you can always add more ginger or extract for longer next time. Enjoy!

ETA: I was sharing your story with my wife, and she said that she does 1:1:1 for the spicy stuff - a cup of water, a cup of sugar, and a cup of grated ginger. Simmer, let sit, strain. So my suggestion was on the weak side

9 Likes

Noted for the next harvest (in a year :smile:)!

8 Likes