Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Gobble: Holiday food and drink topic.

Should this be a new topic or added here to HMF&DT?

Photo from www.harryanddavid.com

2 Likes

@ClutchLinkey already created one; see link a few posts up.

6 Likes

D’oh!
Had my coffee now…

6 Likes

Looks like a drunk test. Cheers!

4 Likes

In that vein

Budae Jigae aka Korean Army Stew. Made from processed ingredients:Spam, Ramen, cheap sausages and of course ubiquitous Korean staple kimchi

11 Likes

This is on my list of things to make over the holidays.

5 Likes

We do not go out to eat much, but when we do we do not eat here.

7 Likes

It is not Turkey time without visiting with Lauries and my favorite cooking mentor. Our sweet friend Mary Risley who runs Tante Marie’s French cooking school here in San Francisco. :heart:

The best advice for your Thanksgiving get together:

8 Likes

You should cross post that in the Thanksgiving thread!

ETA: And of course you already had!

6 Likes

Food seeking minds think alike. :wink:

6 Likes

Sorry I do not know how to merge new topics into this one.
But, it is sweet to have offsprings influenced by HMF&DT.
Cheers!

4 Likes

If you have questions like that, here’s the thread to ask:

4 Likes

Thank you.

5 Likes

So here’s a new one for me. This is concentrated beer (hence the 16% ABV) that you’re meant to mix with varying amounts of sparkling water to suit your taste.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I’ve seen beer with high ABV before, but this is specifically marketed as “beer you cut with sparkling water.”

9 Likes
11 Likes

Never seen anything like that, but very cool concept.
IIRC, that’s how we got Brandy, right? They concentrated the wine so it wouldn’t take up as much room on the ships, then were meant to add water back to it. But someone realized how good it was if you skipped the last step.

8 Likes

Native snacks: Beiju and GuaranĂĄ.

10 Likes

Wow, what an idea!

5 Likes

I believe that’s the rough theory. But less in that you were meant to add water to reconstitute it into wine.

Once distillation hit Europe it became a critical way to preserve shorter shelf life alcohol, but more in providing another, different more storable product to sell. Rather than as a way to still have wine or beer later.

You were meant to water it, but for palatability and to moderate the alcohol content.

And we still do that. It’s simply done in production. Fresh out of the barrel/still liquor is usually much higher abv than the finished products we drink. Brandy typically comes off the still at above 70% abv, below 95% abv. Some of that is lost in aging in a barrel. So barrel strength Brandy tends to sit around 60-70% alcohol. Barrel strength whiskey can sit as high as 75% alcohol.

Traditionally this was knocked back to around the 40%-50% abv we tend to see to today at consumption time. And you’ll see that with things like traditional grog recipes, or old Irish Whiskey and traditional Pastis service where the liquor is served with a pitcher of ice cold water.

Starting in the 19th century blenders and producers began to pre-water spirits to sell them ready to drink.

6 Likes

It’s where the term proof comes from-50% alcohol will ignite, thus proving the liquid is booze. For taxation purposes, of course.

3 Likes