Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I made it on the stove top (electric) in a large cast iron skillet with a lid.
It took a little longer to finish (after the flip) than the recipe said, and I added some butter after the flip, but it came out great. Crisp outside, tender and cooked inside.
I can imagine it becoming my go-to alternative to potato pancakes.

6 Likes

Try a smoked spatchcocked turkey! It’s like poultry brisket. I’m all about the dark meat, anyway, but even the breast meat is ■■■■■ and delicious. And it takes a fraction of the time of a traditional bird. I even use Montreal Steak Seasoning as the dry rub.

12 Likes

The cabbage makes it lighter than potato pancakes. But the salt content can be heavy. It is traditionally pub food. Goes great with beer.

9 Likes

Shirley Temple Giggle GIF

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

7 Likes

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

6 Likes

me too!
but i like your smoked spatch turkey bird idea!

6 Likes

OMGrub.
I can watch Japanese and Korean street food videos for hours on YouTube.

4 Likes

Made chicken spiedies

Also made the rolls for the sandwich. The meat marinates for a day or two, and the rolls also were an overnight deal.

9 Likes

Olney: The town where a pancake race is a global event - BBC News?

6 Likes

Blueberry rolls. Cinnamon rolls, except a cup of fresh blueberries as well.

16 Likes

Those look amazing! Great work!

Emma Stone High Quality GIF

11 Likes

OMGullet.
I want to wake up to the fragrance of this baking in my oven.
Yes, please!

7 Likes

Fell down a rabbit hole and landed on fried eggs.

11 Likes

A very satisfactory combo-cinnamon raisin bagel, peanut butter, sliced banana.

4 Likes

Yes please! Laurie is out shopping and now I want to add bagels to her list.

6 Likes

in the kitchen doing the fermentation thing with some goods from the garden.
pepper mash red chiles, salt brine habaneros, seasoned salt brine serranos and this:

(banana for scale - is a cheat. that’s a manzana banana - about 7cm)
a whole row of Japanese red leaf mustard (400g) going into a seasoned salt brine. (brine = 2.5liters distilled water, 200g kosher salt, 2Tbls sezchuan peppercorns, 1Tbls whole cardamom pods, 15 dried chiles arból and 5cm fresh ginger root sliced and 5 star anise pods - boiled, cooled). into the airlock for a fortnight:

now we wait, then the alchemy happens! stay tuned!

16 Likes

And did you do anything with the peels?

Inquiring minds want to know! :smile:

6 Likes

They are wrapped around the other half of the banana. After that, they will join the circle of life, but not by being eaten by me.
There is more than a hint of fanaticism in some of the zero-waste crowd. We don’t usually eat carrot tops because they don’t taste very good. Same for banana peels. If I have to go to great lengths to disguise what I’m eating, then I’d better be in straits way more dire than I am now.

7 Likes

Heh heh, I once tried to make a green smoothie with carrot tops, and as you say it did NOT taste very good!

But as I posted in that other topic, I found banana peels to be palatable, just not having a lot of flavor. I don’t think they need to be disguised, just that they would mainly add substance and nutrients to a dish and would fade into the flavors of the other ingredients.

5 Likes

There are so many things I see on those sites where I’m like, “meh, that’s why we have a compost pile.”
I am curious to try some of those banana peel recipes, though. The “bacon” recipes remind me a tiny bit of some of my favorite marinated and baked tofu recipes.

7 Likes