Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Yowza! That looks delicious!

It certainly looks amazing! Nice work, chef.

Never apologize for giggling at that. Spatchcocking is both amazingly effective and hilarious!

10 Likes

Oh. And yes Corningware. The pattern is apparently Cornflower. All the women in my family were gifted matching sets at one point. Both sides. I think it was my great grandmother on my father’s side who instigated it, she was a bit big on gifting brag worthy made in the USA cookware. I’m supposed to own her personal set of Revereware, but it mysteriously disappeared after an aunt complained about it being left to me.

I may steal these. But it was apparently their most popular pattern for 30 years and they aren’t hard/expensive to come by.

5 Likes

Bo Ssam

9 Likes

Yes! It cooked in 60 minutes to a breast temperature of 157f. The thighs were about 175f.

7 Likes

Have used that method on chicken. The big cousin bird worked too.
Spatchcock sounds like something that would come up in divorce proceedings.

6 Likes

The leftovers from roast duck are fantastic. Make sure you keep as much of that duck fat as you can. It lasts a while and is great with roasted potatoes and omlettes

Done a “poor man’s Peking Duck” by coating the duck with hoisin sauce towards the end. I shred the flesh before it gets a chance to cool down and serve it with small soft flour tortillas

7 Likes

Oh, that hits home. My father worked for Revere’s aluminum division back in the 70s, but the management was well supplied with the new pots and pans. It was some of the first decent stainless in the US market IIRC, and the family kitchen was outfitted with all Revereware. His second wife disposed of it all in the 90s - wasn’t fancy enough. The only pieces I still have are a set of three mixing bowls, a large pot lid that fits a couple skillets well enough, and a small saucepan from their later “fancy” that has metal handles on the pot and lid that get hot as hell when you cook anything in it for linger than 10 minutes. It’s my egg boiling pot; I occasionally descale it.

6 Likes

The family set is like prime Revere too. The 2 ply stainless and copper bottom stuff.

Really intense cooking nerd stuff. No matter what I spend, I can’t find cookware that heats as even and fast as this stuff without going for full copper.

And she keeps asking me if I’ve “seen” it. Oh what happened to it. As she cooks on it. Right in front of me. It’s very insult to injury. I don’t have much from the family. We’re very it goes to the first born. What I do have are things no one else wanted. Mostly kitchen stuff, my great grandfather’s type writer. But the Reveres are the one thing that was specifically named for me. In paperwork. Something that really meant something to me as well.

And I can’t get at them.

I’ve considered buying a set. One of those things that’s surprisingly cheap. People seem to have forgotten it’s a thing. There’s definitely a collectors market for it, but they really do cook well.

Sorry for the baggage. This was a thing today.

11 Likes

I still have a few Revereware lids with Polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, better known as Bakelite, knobs on top. Still in fine condition.

9 Likes

Hungry Food GIF by Rosanna Pansino

4 Likes

Everything came out really good! And I know I’ve been talking here a lot about getting more local with food stuff, and this was a success in that regard, too. All the main ingredients (veggies, fruit, meat, butter) were from within 50 miles. I think the furthest-sourced thing other than spices was the bourbon from Kentucky.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Sis just dropped off a bag of leftovers from their Thanksgiving dinner. Tucked in among the usual items was a little surprise—BUTTER TARTS!!! :heart:

I’m not Canadian, but we grew up close to the border, in Western New York near Niagara Falls. Our family’s recipe came from our father’s mother and aunt.

I’m saving them to enjoy later tonight. :yum:

8 Likes

You ever buy something just because you like the label?
This turned out to taste fantastic!
As good as the bubble eyed logo.

https://www.josegourmet.com/en/produtos/

11 Likes

Great timing, two days after Thanksgiving!
Seen on my ‘Hood walk today.
Free book.

12 Likes

Looks like a neat haul in general.

5 Likes

When I take my neighborhood walk I try to hit 3 to 5 free library sites along my walk.
Funny. I never seem to have a book to leave.

4 Likes

Burger King in Japan be crazy.

7 Likes

Harvesting the last of the Turkey meat for sandwiches and soup.

7 Likes

I have one of those in the fridge too. It’s going into the InstantPot tomorrow with the other bones and bits for broth. Nobody in my house wants turkey soup yet.

6 Likes