Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Make a good turkey broth and then reduce it more, pour it into an ice tray, and after freezing, pop out cubes into a zip-lock bag to store in the freezer.
Plop a cube into other recipes for added flavor, or just into a cup and microwave for a single serving.

10 Likes

This is great, thank you.

7 Likes
8 Likes

If it Sunday, it’s organic Fava bean shelling day!

8 Likes

Belated Thanksgiving feast post:
This year, we had two daughters and a old friend join us. I decided to make only stuff I wanted to eat, so, turkey, stuffing, gravy, all the veggies from the holiday CSA share roasted together (first all the roots, then 20 minutes later the brassicas were added), rolls, and desserts. Eldest daughter brought her version of green bean casserole, because she makes the best version of all of us; something to do with heavy cream and sour cream, I suspect.

Of course, the carcass was in the pot simmering into broth before the night was through.

10 Likes

Yes! Making soup from the carcass extends the Thanksgiving cooking fragrance in the house.

6 Likes

First night of hannukah, so a feast of fried foods!
“Original” potato pancakes
Sweet potato and scallion pancakes
Apple zucchini and herb fritters
Potato and leek cake
For toppings there was applesauce (homemade), sour cream, and a ginger-lime yogurt sauce.
Sufganiyot with pumpkin orange filling
Sufganiyot with chocolate hazelnut filling
And I managed to render my kitchen aide shredder attachment useless by jamming the pusher tube down the feed shaft slightly askew so that it now cannot be moved. I have tried dribbling some oil between the pieces to no avail. So all of the above was done on a box grater, with no blood loss! Well, the sufganiyot were made yesterday.
So enjoy the miracle of the oil and eat fried foods!

13 Likes

My daughter’s Challah bread.

Baked for her campus LGBTQ club but somehow I don’t think it’ll last until morning!

12 Likes

Wow! That’s so cool.

5 Likes

Try heating it up. Probably dunk the body/chute in hot water. It’ll expand, the plunger shouldn’t. And it should loosen up.

Alternately, freeze it. Then thaw it out. Might have to go a couple times. The repeated expansion and contraction can wiggle things loose.

Lube probably won’t do anything, cause it’s got a whole tension thing going on. But if you can move it a bit or get some space it should pop loose.

Works on most bar tools and glassware.

5 Likes

Just found out about this, so I haven’t made it yet. It blew up when Christine Su posted about it, but this link is from the actual original recipe. How perfect a mash-up is this?

10 Likes

Great recipe included in story. Thank you!

7 Likes

It looks good, but you need to proof the load after braiding before baking. Maybe I will try a loaf this week.

4 Likes

Roasted garden veggies for dinner. Parsnip, turnip, beets and Brussel sprouts. We’ve had a few frosts so the the sprouts should be pretty sweet (that would be pretty sweet).

14 Likes

Lovely! Nothing like home grown.

8 Likes

Eeeps! I like potato chips. At my favorite store, for the same brand, same size bag, I paid:

Jan 2021: $4.99
Apr 2021: $5.29
Sep 2021: $5.49
Nov 2021: $5.79
Dec 2021: $6.79

I think that’s the end of that indulgence.

I keep reading that even with prices going up so much, consumers aren’t changing their buying habits. How can that be?? Do people want the comfort of the exact foods they’re used to having, enough so that price won’t make them change their eating habits? Are people saving money by not going out to public places for entertainment, which means they can spend more on their groceries?

9 Likes

It’s almost as if the cosy stories of classical economics are just that: cosy, just so stories.

7 Likes

I bet that’s it

7 Likes

shocked kristen bell GIF by The Good Place

When you lay it out like that…

6 Likes

Potato chips are a food item that’s hit by a triple-whammy of shortage of farm workers for harvest, shortage of factory workers in huge, dangerous food processing factories, and shortage of transportation workers to ship them. Add in that America’s potato production and processing is centered in heavily COVID-hit eastern Oregon and (even worse) Idaho, and they might not be representative of most other foodstuffs.

10 Likes