Happytime Murders film successfully trolls Sesame Street into marketing the film

Update: Sesame Workshop has lost their suit against STX and Happytime Murders.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, Jim Henson’s legacy includes “Land of Gorch,” a decidedly adult recurring sketch from the first season of SNL.

The movie marketing is gross, but now Streisanded out of proportion, I think.

But he didn’t refer to Sesame Street directly in its marketing, I’m guessing! I’m fine with adult-oriented puppet stuff, even coming from Jim Henson company, as I said. Referring to their beloved children’s show in the ad? One notch too far.

Well … this is interesting:

It seems that Brian and Lisa Henson (Lisa Henson is listed as an executive producer on HTM) are actually * at odds * with STX Productions over the marketing of this movie. They didn’t want any association to the Muppets or Sesame Street, and are displeased that STX used the “No Sesame All Street” tagline in the trailer. STX claims that Brian and Lisa Henson were consulted about this every step of the way. A disconnect and dispute from * within * the production, separate from Sesame Workshop …

“Trading off the famous Muppets to sell the film is exactly what we did not want to have happened.”

6 Likes

Exactly. Sesame Street is one of the few apparently good actors left in media, the last thing we need to do is burden them with pointless litigation.

Television programming that provides children with general education, and encourages them to be conscientious and compassionate toward others is far more valuable to me than adults getting to laugh at puppet dicks. I don’t care if the film is the absolute apex of puppet dick based humor–an unquestionable masterpiece of felt genital-based humor–if it comes at the expense of something that is doing net good in a media landscape where being objectively bad is so frequently glorified and even encouraged, then it’s not worth it.

4 Likes

Hummm… might not be as funny as it could be. There is a fine line between raunchy puppets and just showing a jet of sperm, I guess.

I miss Greg The Bunny.

4 Likes

Sign me up!

3 Likes

So good they went to premium cable and left PBS stale leftovers.

2 Likes

Now that was a wonderfully subversive, shocking, and side splitting show. I’m still shocked that MTV actually aired it. I doubt anything like that could ever be made again.

5 Likes

Ejaculation and puppets.

I believe that adventurous people have been checking off that box since the advent of puppets.

3 Likes

Yeah they pushed soooo many envelopes.

2 Likes

You’re a sick puppy!

I like you!

:joy:

2 Likes

I heard that was due to budget cuts.
Gots to pay the bills somehow!

1 Like

To be clear, PBS stations get to show exactly the same shows that HBO does, at no charge, after HBO’s 9-month exclusivity window.

3 Likes

Youtube ads will have already shown most kids with an internet connection.

Good choice.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.