Harrisburg PA Mayor says it was appropriate for a cop to wrongly accuse Marine veteran of being a fraud

I know, Bush sucks, but he is technically the Commander in Chief. It isn’t like he is wearing Purple Hearts and a Ranger tab.

Sure, but it is basically like he was, as you put it above, “being deceitful and posing as something he isn’t in order to gain attention or free stuff.”

7 Likes

stolen sweatsocks in the underwear.

2 Likes

Commander Codpiece to the rescue.

5 Likes

aside from all the stupid stolen valor shit, which in the range of people’s bad actions has to be one of the most trivial and the kind of thing you not only have to ba an asshole to do but also an asshole to obsess over, why would you assume that a 75 year old guy with a uniform not looking completely correct is a fake instead of huh that guy is 75 years old and maybe not as able to do his uniform in the way I would expect it to be?

6 Likes

The leg straps on the SV-2 kind of force that look.

1 Like

Ford said the officer questioned him initially about his unit and job in the Marines as he shopped, then returned a second time, demanding to know where he went to boot camp.
That’s when Ford said he used an expletive and told the officer to leave him alone. Ford said the officer took a few steps back and yelled that, “he can’t tell me where he went to boot camp. Stolen Valor!”

“This is an example of police acting appropriately to do their job,”

The police relying on the court of public opinion to harass and publicly, falsely accuse a person of some negative behaviour with the intention of attempting to poison their community against them, without any intention of making an arrest, is ‘appropriate’.

There’s so much inappropriateness in this situation I don’t know where to begin. At least the cop didn’t just execute the guy on the spot for swearing at him.

4 Likes

I wonder if the “Stolen Valor” thing is the real reason that stormtrooper in Massachusetts was arrested.

“How dare you cheapen the sacrifice of my brothers in white who laid down their lives on Endor!”

5 Likes

FWIW, I’m a veteran and being thanked for my service always weirds me out, I don’t much care for it. Here’s a good read from someone with similar thoughts to mine:

2 Likes

You don’t even know what happened on Endor. We can’t see a thing in these helmets!

2 Likes

Next time this situation crops up I’ll say “Well I’m glad you made it back,” just to, you know, mix it up a little bit.

1 Like

If you can force yourself to examine that photo closely, note the location of the thigh zippers on three jumpsuits. Dubya has about 3" of the right leg of his jumpsuit wadded up in the crotch area. Since he has not suited up since about 1968, this is a wardrobe malfunction. A long shot would probably make him look like a eal doofus with his right sock or ankle exposed.

Mike! We’ve got incoming! Take them down!

Just to add to what I had already said

I was discussing this with someone and they pointed out that they knew someone who was ex-SAS (and seen the evidence proving it). she said that transition was the hardest and scariest thing she had ever done and that getting shot at was nothing in comparison

I’ll take her view over some facebook image.

That title sounds like an Onion article really.

According to the article it’s still illegal if it’s done fraudulently for profit. This man was looking for toys for his granddaughter at a street fair, so unless he were faking and demanding a veteran’s discount from a street vendor there was no reason at all for anyone to question him… least of all an Army guy.

1 Like

The title being the point at which you stopped reading, I’m guessing.

Law enforcement arguably has a legitimate interest if you are playing Captain America with attempt to defraud(certainly, doing it to chat up women at the bar is a major reason; and I suspect that some asshole is selling Christian Patriot Bonds to gullible old people on fixed incomes, based in part on a claim of trustworthiness and military service); but that’s the extent of it.

If you are just walking around, there is absolutely no problem. Plus, given that ‘stolen valor’ is considered to be such egregious bad taste, accusing someone of it, based on your no-doubt perfect knowledge of every twist and turn of uniform across the US military over a span of multiple decades; is pretty tasteless in itself. It’s probably more common for people who make the mistake of claiming specific recent accomplishments and honors in the immediate vicinity of actual participants in the same event; but this guy was 75: does Officer Donut really think that he knows what belt buckle designs(and non-standard but permissible replacements) have been in marine dress uniforms from 1953(earliest officially legal recruitment date, a little earlier if it was at a time when being 16 but looking a touch older would do) to whenever the guy would have had to leave due to age, unless promoted high enough to grey on the job?

That’s some pretty specialized knowledge.

I see your point and agree the concept of “stolen valor,” however you may feel about its use, doesn’t apply here. (Though, the argument with @pixleshifter actually strikes me as two sides arguing about two different things.)

However, I do generally have a serious philosophical issue with the civilian leader of the US military donning a uniform. Hell, I have a problem with presidents returning salutes, a contemptible practice introduced by Reagan and eschewed by previous presidents who had actually been generals, like Eisenhower.