Harry Potter as an irritating teen comedy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/harry-potter-as-an-irritating.html

3 Likes

It wasn’t one?

24 Likes

jinx!

Damn, that’s the only joke here, too.

12 Likes

I’m always late to everything.

4 Likes

I would go and see that one. Looks kind of fun.

3 Likes

Well I think that’s it right there - it just needed different background music and it would be.

This is probably what hollywood would have done with it, if the books had been an obscure series that they’d optioned, instead of the massive success that it was.

I can see the production process going down that route:
"OK, we’ve got a decent teen comedy here if we dump all the dreary magical Nazi stuff- typical padding. Get me Kevin Williamson on the phone- he can crank out a screenplay for this. Oh, and send that weird woman in Edinburgh a check and get her to stop calling. "

12 Likes

Harry Potter and the 10 Things I Hate About You.

15 Likes

7 Things I Hate About Horcruxes

The Half-Blood Prince Diaries

Never Been Cursed

Patronus in Pink

16 Goblets of Fire

24 Likes

I may be wrong, but I believe I would still be successful …

2 Likes

Would that be the version where Robin Williams played Hagrid?

2 Likes

And James Spader as Professor Snape.

He’s so dreamy.

4 Likes

Age-wise a more accurate casting at least…
In the real world, Robin Williams actually lobbied for the Hagrid part, only not getting it because of adherence to the “Brits-only” casting policy. Originally Rowling planned on having the movies made by a large British movie studio, apparently unaware that such a thing no longer existed. So she had to settle for an assurance of a British cast. One gets the sense that it could very easily have been an all-American cast or at the very least Americans in some key roles, with Williams very nearly the wedge that tempted the casting director into breaking the casting rule…

2 Likes

Kind of a shame too, because Movie Hagrid came across kind of boring, unlike the negligently homicidal manbaby of the books. Robin Williams could have brought some real sense of danger to the character.

More about the writing/editing of the movies, I think. Rowling always wanted Robbie Coltrane for the role.

I’m fairly sure that his performance as “The ghost of Christmas Present” in Blackadder’s Christmas Carol, sealed the role for him. I can’t find the clip online, but it’s a hugely similar characterisation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.