Harry Reid tells BLM's Burning Man squad to suck it up

The mandate of the BLM has NEVER been to “keep the land undeveloped”. It’s Bureau of Land MANAGEMENT.

Have you ever been to a national park?

1 Like

The BLM does not run the national parks.

You ever had a beer with the Director of BLM? I have. Sit down son.

8 Likes

I think I understand your point, but don’t agree. There does not seem to be any real evidence that they need to live a certain way, it seems more likely that this is what they’d prefer.

Individual officers may not choose their conditions, but that is also part of their life of service. Just like how they don’t get to choose patrolling from a limo or walking a less squalid block of city. As for the BLM and LE agencies, it is preposterous for them to not have adequate facilities of their own. What if they had to stay in the desert for a few days because of a disaster? Every Boy Scout knows to “Be Prepared”. This is why police departments often have “mobile command centers”, and why a governmental department in charge of the condition of the desert should have some facilities for when they need to spend some time there. Or is it only important enough for the pretense of doing their job a few days per year when there’s a cash-cow event in town? If dirty commie hippies can survive a week in the desert, this should surely not present much of a challenge to trained and organized government employees.

I had heard it was moved to private land a while back, apparently it’s been moved since. Anyway, it’s not as “public” as it sounds like, if there are strings attached to its usage. They should simply be made to leave the area as they found it, cleaned at their own expense.

Two reasons - the park, and the public. Municipal parks have a fair amount of infrastructure and maintenance to keep them usable in a certain condition. Whereas if the Burning Man festival was not happening there, the BLM would be treating the area like an expanse of wasteland they wanted nothing to do with. Also, a park would have other, non-event members of the public present, and need to be ready for further public use immediately after the event. Again, this is not so much the case in the desert. As for “the public”, again, not everybody at a park is participating in an event held there. For Burning Man, the public consists only of the attendees, those who choose to be there. I always opt out of police protection, because they fail to earn my trust. So if I had the choice of a big hype festival with police, or a lesser one where I am recognized as having enough agency to accept the risks myself - I will choose the latter.

6 Likes

Excuse me, I misspoke. A national scenic, historic, or recreational area, all of which the BLM does indeed administer. There are buildings. Structures. Museums. Way stations. Toilet facilities. Parking lots. All KINDS of “development”. The BLM administers mines, grazing areas, and logging, all of which are quite destructive. So no, the BLM has never had a directive to “keep the land undeveloped”.

Have you ever had dinner with the Secretary of the Interior? I have. Not that it matters.

5 Likes

It’s part of the new oligarchy.

2 Likes

I’m sure they need the facilities for all the land speed records and rocketry done there. Such intense uses!! [/s]

3 Likes

Jebus, I have been accused of squashing Peoples opinions… But slow down. Take a breath . ("but you are interrupting our squabble. " Yes I am.)

BM isn’t what it was in 2000, and it likely won’t ever be again.

Blm asking for a million bucks for additional services for them is beyond tone deaf.

The desert in the summer sucks, so keep it. I’ll be swingn from Douglas firs and cedars, thank you very much.

7 Likes

i think the difference between having dinner and having a beer is enormous, and a great metaphor, really.

Was the SecInt wearing false redneck teeth, having just rode up on his Harley softtail?

Washington DC is a great place for dinner.

3 Likes

The last part of your statement is exceptional. Were they drafted? Yes, they don’t get to decide where exactly they’ll go on any given work day, or what exactly they’ll be doing–just like any number of people in non-government jobs, who do so under more onerous conditions for less pay. Plus, of course, a big chunk of the accommodations are earmarked for VIPs, although it’s not clear who that would consist of. This article has some interesting things to say about who that might be, as well as how the BLM fees have skyrocketed in recent years.

6 Likes

Well, that last reply pretty much showed us all everything we needed to know. Thanks!

3 Likes

Oatmeal stout can be both beer and dinner.

6 Likes

I do appreciate the link to the article; there’s a lot more pertinent info there than in the original post here. I’m still curious about what facilities the BLM has had to deal with up until now. Perhaps someone who has actually attended BM and seen those facilities could comment.

3 Likes

Ask the Secretary of Interior. :wink:

3 Likes

Dem appeals to authority.

“I’m best friends with GOD. So… Build me a pyramid.”

That wasn’t an appeal to authority. It was an appeal to humility. You wouldn’t understand, I suspect.

Signed -A “Dem”

2 Likes

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’m fascinated by how annoying you can be without violating the guidelines rules or whatever they call 'em.

10 Likes

Oh, you’ve been? Otherwise, shut the hell up as you don’t actually know what goes on there.

I’ve been multiple times over the last decade and a half. Let’s see you carry a week’s worth of water and food into the playa and leave no trace when you leave.

6 Likes

Other than ticket prices, it isn’t anymore expensive than 20 years ago. The ticket prices aren’t the primary cost.

If you have a suggestion to get rid of the cops, please let everyone know. I’m sure they’ve never tried.

3 Likes

Missed about 18 years of Burning Man history, have we?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s AcerPlatanoides’ self proclaimed hobby - forgive me (and please correct me) if I’m thinking of the wrong person here. I do think the, “I’ve had a beer with authority” bit is a clear appeal to authority.
/e removed comma

4 Likes