Harry Reid tells BLM's Burning Man squad to suck it up

How much were these tickets? I looked at the prices, and I was, like… wow…

http://wow.boingboing.net

2 Likes

1 Like

@silkox1 to @AcerPlatanoides :

Uh, huh…

@silkox1 to @AcerPlatanoides :

Then why aren’t you “fascinated” with and also whining about the shitty, [needling][1] comments like this?

Sorry, but it appears to me that your dog is trying to bite @AcerPlatanoides in this fight, @silkox1.
[1]: A List Of Fallacious Arguments

1 Like

All I know is that attendees are likely to see the same thing happened last time that Burning Man had a dispute with the BLM over the cost of their policing: Federal Marshalls with K-9 units pulled over attendees entering the event en masse over imaginary violations like obstructed license plates. In many cases the K-9s mysteriously alerted and searches were conducted.

This harassment completely evaporated the following year. Suddenly the concern for attendees’ sobriety and safety apparently went away due to an amended agreement over policing costs.

As far as the BLM goes, I camped with some of them in 2004, and find it hard to believe this request is coming from the local office. The local office was to a man very grateful to Burning Man over keeping that office open during some lean funding years.

6 Likes

The onslaught of LEOs completely overwhelms the motel in Gerlach during the event. Most of the LEOs who do attend are pretty mellow, hanging out with a bunch of half-naked burners sure beats staking out desert meth labs on public lands, a gig that rarely comes with portapotties or showers.

I agree that the BLM folks could provide a big economic boon to Empire and the surrounding area for a fraction of what they are asking to be constructed on the playa.

4 Likes

Reminds me of all the morons that voluminously and vociferously complain about vegetarians and vegans being too vocal because they dare tell people who are offering them meat that they don’t partake.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was trying to think up a good way to say pretty much the same thing.

2 Likes

Yes. Gerlach can’t handle more than it’s already got in the way of people coming in for Burning Man. Even now they’re probably filling up. But there are dozens of empty single family residences in Empire that can likely be purchased and rehabbed for next to nothing. It’s quiet there too; just wind, heat, tumbleweed and derelict mining equipment, like the rest of northern Nevada. The biggest problem would be shuttling people north to the playa during the first few days when the highway is choked with Burner traffic.

awww, you dragged a hurt fee fee in from another thread. What good faith you have.

1 Like

right on. Thanks for clarifyin!

This is what I thought reading this thread. Somebody who works for BLM should enjoy being outdoors, camping, roughing it, etc. Otherwise, get a cubicle job.

5 Likes

well heck, if you want to sum it up in one civilized sentence.

I think you let 'em off too easy, but I commend you for not acting like me and being a more forgiving individual in the process.

1 Like

I’m not going to push my Luck Dragon. It seems best.

1 Like

And, let’s face it. You get enough flags from people you dare challenge, you lose yer stinking badges:

http://bbs.boingboing.net/badges/3/regular
1 Like

There is no badge in Luck Dragonry. I checked, nope. :wink:

If only we could see our flag collection.

2 Likes

We have to use our inside voices. Inside voices.

1 Like

Suggestion: If the BLM requires flush toilets, a/c, and the trappings of civilization, let them rent one of those land yacht RVs. It can be moved as needed and wouldn’t be a permanent fixture.

4 Likes

Lets face it, the BLM’s mission has nothing to do with land management. They are just second string drug enforcement agents. They all show up at burning man because it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. They get their citation {edited from arrest} count up for the year and attend a pretty decent party to boot.

Buying a home in Gerlach is a good solution; it would probably get used as a meth lab while vacant during the other 50 weeks of the year so that’d be one more big bust each year.

1 Like

Uh, really?

So, do tell, how many people do you think the BLM arrests at Burning Man every year out of the greater than 30,000 people that have been there each year during the last ten years? Ten? Twenty? One?

1 Like