Harry Shearer is quitting The Simpsons. Who will take over his characters' voices?

Best in Show 2: Release the Hounds

1 Like

With real actors. Surely the Simpsons is successful enough that it doesn’t have to make do with only using voice-actors.

ducks

Speaking of which, the chart DOES need Phil Hartman…

1 Like

Simpsons just got cancelled.

They should use secret celebrity guests to voice all his characters. A different one each week.

There is only one quote to properly respond to this news:

“I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.”

1 Like

They already did that once before: Anyone remember Maude Flanders?

Maggie Roswell left due to contract and payment issues, and Maude died in a way that only John Oliver can fully appreciate, although he might have found something better…

And then Ned Flanders will jump over Springfield gorge while there is a shark in the water below?

He’s only been at it how long??? yeah, better just can him. I mean if if it meant the other voice actors get a piece of the action, whoa no!!! Fthat sliver of .0005% of FOX profits, no way an “employee” gets that. Uhhh, i’m sick just saying the word employee. Now someone get me Mr “Family Guy” on the phone…

1 Like

There is so much audio on file that I wonder if his characters could be sampled and modelled.

Probably some extremely talented voice actor we’ve never heard of will do it. The voices might sound a little bit off, but they’ll be close enough.

No iconic voice is completely irreplaceable. Mel Blanc, Jim Henson, Walt Disney, Jack Mercer (Popeye)…their characters live on without them.

Funny thing: Shearer wasn’t even the original voice actor for Montgomery Burns. That was Chris Latta, who left after the first season.

Yeah, the show may decide to retire a character if the voice actor dies, for sentimental/publicity reasons, but they’re not going to pull the plug–on characters or the show in general–as long as it’s turning a profit. I could imagine that they’ve auditioned replacement voice actors for all of the recurring parts–yes, even the principals–and play them when the actors do things such as try to play hardball during negotiations.

sort of like Louis CK’s role on the Late Show?

I think now is a good time to stop watching The Simpsons.
It was a good run.
With Shearer moving on, I’m going to move on also.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.