Harvey Kurtzman’s Jungle Book — forgotten 50s classic re-issued in the quality format it deserves

[Permalink]

I’ve had a softcover version of this for years that I think is a Kitchen Sink Press version. I really look forward to getting my hands on this version of it .

I have always known Kurtzman as one of the overlooked geniuses of comics that stepped out of the EC stable, but I didn’t realize he was such a hard luck case.

This is a wonderful edition of a wonderful book. I was a little put off at first by the way the original pages ‘float’ in the middle of each page against a tinted background, but this ensures that you can see the full page without losing any content to the spine - this is an issue with my old paperback Kitchen Sink copy, which I’d always treated with kid gloves.

The extra content is all worth reading, but The Jungle Book itself is something anyone with an interest in comics or humour should own, being the ‘purest’ output of one of the greatest cartoonists and humorists.

Looks like the next volume in the series is Hey Look!, a collection of brilliantly bouncy single-page gag strips from the late 40s. I’m fortunate enough to have a signed copy of the 90s edition, but if the new version is of similar quality to The Jungle Book, I’ll be buying it for sure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.