"Has it been proved that the Earth is round?" asks European government official

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/17/has-it-been-proved-that-the-earth-is-round-asks-european-government-official.html

15 Likes

35 Likes

I bet people did a complete 180 and had a Quantum leap in frustration afterwards:(

I think it has been proven that the Earth is not round. It’s 3 dimensional (at least) and somewhat spherical last I heard

16 Likes

“Has it been proved that the Slovakia exists?” Vulgarian government official Meccalecca Hi Mecca Hineyho the country’s ministry of silly asked a TV reporter. “Have you been to Slovakia? No, nor have I, I don’t know.” --hugs n’ kisses the Great A’Tuin

(as a side-note, i’ve known a couple of Slovakian academics, they were @#$n delightful!)

18 Likes

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore, but I can confirm that you can’t simply walk away from it.

34 Likes

Part of me wants to breathe a sigh of relief that it’s not just us in the States that are dealing with fascists and idiots leading our countries, but on the other hand, HOLY SHIT! It’s not just us!! That’s terrible!!

33 Likes

I would be totally on board to living on Discworld, if that’s an option.

The Patrician is a fine leader, once you understand his “one man, one vote” model of democracy.

20 Likes

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

16 Likes

How surprising that a flat-earther is also an antisemitic conspiracy-monger and a Putinist.

21 Likes

Has it been proved that Saturn isn’t a giant jelly donut yet?

20 Likes

It is not necessary to go into space to collect convincing evidence that the earth is a sphere.

20 Likes

Don’t tell him that. Maybe someone can convince this Nazi flat-earther to get launched into space to prove he was right. One-way trip on a Musk booster rocket should do the trick.

12 Likes

This picture of the last lunar eclipse should settle the issue once and for all.

35 Likes

Where are the turtles?!

28 Likes

Dang, you mean it really is flat?

4 Likes

I was going to get snarky re: proved/proven but apparently either is fine? :man_shrugging:

But yeah, lumpy spherical, not round.

6 Likes

43 Likes

Personally I love flat earthers. They are a never ending source of amusement. :laughing:

5 Likes

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

12 Likes

It’s obviously a futile and counterproductive exercise to expect good faith in these cases; but I’m always puzzled by exactly how it is that the radical skepticism is distributed.

We can’t know that the world is approximately spherical because we haven’t been to space and personally witnessed it(somewhat less obvious, but more accessible, inferences from terrestrial observations are apparently off the table); but the workings of the illuminati and the jewish mafia are apparently to be discerned without having personally attended their clandestine planning cabals; and he takes to telegram to tell us that he is not a conspiracy theorist; despite the fact that we obviously have no way of knowing that, not having met him personally.

It seems unlikely that the distribution of skepticism is purely random; and (along with everyone else who is more or less functional day-to-day) he’s clearly ready to assume the truth of most of what is presented to him; but certain things apparently cannot be known except by the most obvious of direct experience; while others are treated as all the more proven by the fact that the evidence for them has been hidden by the conspirators.

I’m not sure how the internal logic works. Sure, ‘motivated reasoning’ is probably an answer of a sort; but only a proximate one; since that just pushes the question back to the shape of the motivations without actually answering it.

5 Likes