Have we hit peak "could you not?"

[Read the post]

Google ngrams taps out around 2008, which is a shame because I think that’s right around when we hit peak “Would you kindly” (at levels “Could you not” only dreams about)

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=would+you+kindly&year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cwould%20you%20kindly%3B%2Cc0

4 Likes

Meanwhile fleek has been merely resting for 200 years, girding its strength for a big surge in popularity.

5 Likes

I’ll wait for the more elegant “kindly refrain” to become fashionable again.

4 Likes

As long as “make no mistake” is launched into deep space to never be heard from again, I’m okay with “could you not['s]” comeback.

2 Likes

And “the” has been slowly declining from its 6% high in the 1800s, to less than 5% over the past few decades. Definite articles just don’t get the respect they used to.

2 Likes

Cool beans! I just n-grammed my last name, saw a (relatively) huge one year spike in 1843, did a little googling and learned about the “Disruption of 1843”, a schism in the Church [Kirk] of Scotland.

2 Likes

What about that middle name?

4 Likes

And apparently, “Die in a fire” should die… in a fire.

1 Like

I for one literally (literally literally, natch) did not know THIS. Was. A. Thing.
True story!!!1YOLO!!!

Edit: for more awesomesauce.
PS I await teh orbital nukes.
PPS What good is written language and abbrevs if not to annoy your fellow humans? Good day.

Furbelow is apparently on the way out.

1 Like

Back in style” is so last century.

I’m pretty sure we’re beyond Peak Peak Oil, but the data haven’t caught up to it yet.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=peak+oil&year_start=1975&year_end=2010&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cpeak%20oil%3B%2Cc0

Of course, in English English “could you not” is the start of a suggestion, as in “could you not take up sword juggling?”

2 Likes

I wish this covered periodicals and (especially) blogs between 2008 and 2015. I have become convinced that we’d see a huge recent spike in “is/are not new” and “nothing new.”

Even though they’re both… er, nothing new.

I can’t even.

1 Like

With hippopotamus prices coming off an all time low, you can’t afford to miss out on this opportunity.

For centuries, investors and collectors have owned physical hippopotami for a variety of reasons. Hippopotami are :

-Considered a “safe haven” asset - a potential hedge against inflation and an eroding dollar
-Recognized as a monetary and financial asset worldwide
-Part of a portfolio diversification strategy recommended by many experts
-Able to be passed on to children and grandchildren
-A tangible reminder of past achievements and civilizations
-Setting records - some experts believe hippopotami may see new highs in the future

3 Likes

23 skidoo is on an upswing!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.