"Have you recently had an abortion?" US immigration officials interrogate Australian woman then deport her on next flight home

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

We are truly fucked. Soon we’ll need to hire lawyers to help us navigate our entry into the U.S.

And remember, treat CBP like any other law enforcement official. Answer yes, no, and don’t give out any other extraneous information. Also, delete your social media apps.

Assholes. Every one of them.

21 Likes

Had the displeasure of working a project with them a few years back and can confirm. Assholes, every last one of them. I mean seriously, no light of day down the ranks that I saw.

12 Likes

Weird. Were they concerned that she was pregnant and might give birth in the US during her stay? Do visitors from Mexico get asked the same invasive question? (That’s a big talking point among GOP cretins.) What was it about her that made them so insistent that she might be pregnant?

13 Likes

I am telling anyone who will listen here in Japan: “DO NOT go to America if you can avoid it.”

15 Likes

This line of questioning sounds like somebody profiled her as an anchor-baby-dropping birth tourist and then didn’t want to let it go, which is, like, a whole additional category of fuckedupness

21 Likes

yeah, it’s pretty bad:

In Egbert v. Boule, the conservative majority on the court ruled an individual business owner did not have cause to bring an action seeking damages against a federal agent accused of physically assaulting him. The ruling set a broad precedent that legal experts said would make it virtually impossible to sue federal officials

:crying_cat_face:

15 Likes

fifth circuit sez federal agents are free to set their own priorities without oversight

12 Likes

Wouldn’t HIPAA privacy rules mean she’s not obligated to answer questions about her medical treatment or status?

1 Like

Maybe the cat had been spayed?

2 Likes

Could someone please customs-splain or woman-splain to me dots I’m missing between abortion and cat sitting?

kThx

5 Likes

Indeed. There are many things I have accepted I will never see, as travelling to he US is just not worth the bullshit I KNOW I will go through at the border

3 Likes

“Because I can, and I’m bored, and there will be no repercussions for me, and you’re the lucky hundredth customer.”

17 Likes

I can’t believe I omitted “cat-splain”

8 Likes

The lack of social media apps on your devices will itself be suspicious.

10 Likes

Look at you thinking cats would ever bother explaining anything.

8 Likes

It used to be a dream of mine to visit the States, back in the 80’s.
Now that I can afford to, it turns out that every twat is armed to the teeth, the cops are their own militia, women and children are legit (according to SC) targets and water and electric are getting harder to find.
So I’ve relegated the US from the top of my list to somewhere more appropriate.
Equal with Iran and Russia, coincidentally.

15 Likes

Wow - I’m as suspicious as fuck!

20 Likes

No. Customs and Border Protection is not a Covered Entity.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how she would be in violation of a US visa waver when she was going to “work” in Canada. If you’re on a connecting flight, don’t you usually stay in the parts of the airport that basically count as international waters?

3 Likes

I think that the layout of LAX makes it such that you have to enter the United States just to get into the terminal area to change planes. It depends on the airport. Some airports have a closed off international terminal where you don’t have to go through passport control if you are just transferring to another international flight, but some airports do not.

4 Likes