Haven't Seen It

I don’t like the feeling that the writers are uncertain of what’s going on. I don’t need to know all the answers at the end - I’d rather not, in fact - but I want to believe that there is an answer that the writers have in mind and that they’re not just throwing plot twists in just to be weird.

7 Likes

I still haven’t managed to finish Infinite Jest. I really enjoyed the other DFW books I read, and everybody told me this one was teh mostest awesome! but after reading an inch or so into it, I’m still going “meh”.

As for Lovecraft, the best book in the mythos was written by Roger Zelazny and illustrated by Gahan Wilson. Highly recommend you read it without reading any reviews first. And the best lovecraftian short stories were both written by Neil Gaiman.

As for what I haven’t seen… well, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Rome, the Borgias, The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Office, The Firm… hell, name any TV or movies from the last 25 years and it’s about 80% likely I’ve never seen it… I’ve been busy!

5 Likes

I’ve never finished the Temple of Doom. I love Indiana Jones, but after this scene, I just couldn’t watch any more.

2 Likes

But… that’s kind of the best part.

4 Likes

I apologize for being so very behind in this thread. I’ll catch up.

I had occasion to work with Sean Astin on my second industry job: Encino Man (post-Goonies, pre-Rudy). I don’t know what he’s like now, but back then…

Yeah, he didn’t just sound annoying.

4 Likes

Maybe unusual, but not weird at all. I didn’t enjoy E.T. either, and I was 12 when it came out. Found it unbearably mawkish.

4 Likes

Are a lot of the multi-generation actors like that? I wonder if his less famous brother is also less annoying?

4 Likes

As a matter of fact, I can answer that. I had occasion to work with Mac on a failed pilot entitled Matthew around 1997, and sure enough, the kid was perfectly gentlemanly.

5 Likes

I had a feeling you could. :wink:

5 Likes

One 12 year old’s mawkish is another 10 year old’s crying into his Raisinets.

7 Likes

I was 9, a girl, and it was OK. It wasn’t the movie I wanted to see that day.

4 Likes

No worries…

My husband read his book and kind of got the same impression from reading it.

2 Likes

5 Likes

You’ve only seen 21st century movies? Wow!

1 Like

HAH. I’ve only seen twenty-five of them. Got you beat!

2 Likes

I haven’t seen RHPS.

11 Likes

That’s OK, it’s not a very good movie. Going to see it at a theater with a participating crowd can be fun, though.

8 Likes

By itself, without audience participation, it’s not very good. Tim Curry is utterly fabulous, though.

8 Likes

Yeah the movie itself is so so, the songs are quite good and with an audience that is talking back with the proper lines… it is a very fun time. Mostly it is a hey it’s midnight on Saturday what to do, oh you haven’t been? Okay lets go type of thing.

4 Likes

I watched it once, didn’t really see what the big deal was. I’ve read about the audience participation stuff and that sounds like it’s really not my thing.

“audience participation”…shudder.

6 Likes