Hawaii reports three more cases of parasitic worms that burrow into human brains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/31/hawaii-reports-three-more-case.html

3 Likes

26 Likes

Cut the line to the Fox News broadcast tower before it’s too late!

5 Likes

Confirmed cases of brain worms ramped up after Trump became President? Hmmm. If future generations remember nothing else about his Presidency, I hope they remember that.

Also; nature never fails to terrify.

13 Likes

Ignore this article, it is fake news.

26 Likes

Pfft. Don’t hold that Chinese spy-phone so close to your ear and you’ll be fine.

11 Likes

Came for brain slug reference. Leaving satisfied…

(right after I leave instructions for joining the Brain Slug Party here)

13 Likes

parasitic worms that burrow into human brains

This is how it all starts. Or ends…

7 Likes

I mean, the TV series was hilarious, but I didn’t realize it was a documentary…V1_UX182_CR0%2C0%2C182%2C268_AL

9 Likes

Do they make the victims more … susceptible to suggestion?

15 Likes

“In 2013, A. cantonensis was confirmed present in Florida, USA, where its range and prevalence are expanding.[10]

4 Likes

“That worm I removed… It was a female, and the female lays eggs…”

7 Likes

That bit still grosses me out.

6 Likes

Problem with this defense, Bic lighter plastic molding melts, unlike a Carbide lamp.

2 Likes

Well, if you guys stop sending people with measles to Hawaii, we’ll stop infecting you with rat lungworm disease.

(Honestly, all you have to do is wash your lettuce. Who doesn’t wash lettuce? Or you can just use California lettice, and only have to worry about e. coli.)

6 Likes

(will return posthaste)

1 Like

For that matter, why eat lettuce? It’s fairly insipid and hasn’t much nutritional value aside from a bit of fibre.

1 Like

I have to put “Angiostrongylus cantonensis: don’t eat Hawaiian Caesar salads” on My List.

My List:
Naegleria fowleri: don’t go waterskiing in warm ponds
Baylisascaris procyonis: don’t associate with raccoons

(If anyone has something else that should be on My List-- please let me know! I may be at risk!)

4 Likes

I don’t know what types of lettuce you have where you live, but Manoa lettuce is very tasty and full of vitamin A and C. Also unwanted protein, unless you wash it carefully.

2 Likes

I told you all the future would be just like Star Trek!

2 Likes