RFK Jr. says doctors found dead worm in his partially eaten brain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/08/rfk-jr-says-doctors-found-dead-worm-in-his-partially-eaten-brain.html

10 Likes

Weren’t brain-eating parasites a known risk factor for those sinus rinse kits that were so trendy among the alternative medicine set back around that time?

23 Likes

Yeah, boil the water for your netti pot.

16 Likes

Holy shit, i was certain this would be an Onion story.

This stuff is no joke, but really rarely seen in the states. Don’t think conspiracy theorist is one of the symptoms, though.

25 Likes

That is a thing; but the fact that he’s telling us about it happening to him suggests that it wasn’t his problem.

The sample size for Naegleria fowleri infections is small(157 known infections in the US); but contains only 4 survivors; and high function is not required to count as ‘survived’.

13 Likes

Clinical manifestations can vary from completely asymptomatic infection to severe disease and death. Disease severity and clinical manifestations are indicative of the characteristics of infection (number, size, and location of cysts and intensity of the host’s immune response). In endemic areas, neurocysticercosis is regarded as the great imitator because it can mimic almost any neurological disorder.

Plausible?

8 Likes

Do you have it backwards? Is this a symptom of conspiracy theory?

Has this been confirmed by anyone but him? The doctors quoted just say it’s possible, they’re not the ones that treated him.

7 Likes

A literal brain worm. This might explain in part why a distinguished progressive environmental lawyer sunk into right-wing conspiracism (or maybe he was just always an arsehole).

In any case, his idiot followers might see this as a plus.

18 Likes

Obviously (since I am commenting on it) he is not my patient. I have no first-hand knowledge of him, but I have treated this in the developing world, where it is sadly not so uncommon. None of my cases there tuned into conspiracy theorists. So, yeah, it’s possible. Not sure why he would be taking about it like this if it were not true, but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of cranks?

Arrow Ttrpg GIF by zoefannet

Nah, I don’t think anyone actually does.

25 Likes

21 Likes

Why/how did the worm die?

16 Likes

starved

47 Likes

Malnutrition?

28 Likes

Serious question? Humans are a dead-end host for Taenia tapeworms, since we are generally not eaten by other predators. The larvae make their little cocoons and wait to be eaten, then die when it doesn’t happen. Not so serious answer? It ate RFK jr’s brain. Of course it died!

22 Likes

health issues could compromise his fitness for the presidency [?]

“That is a hilarious suggestion, given the competition.”

Sigh :disappointed:

13 Likes

Asked last week if any of Mr. Kennedy’s health issues could compromise his fitness for the presidency, Stefanie Spear, a spokeswoman for the Kennedy campaign, told The Times, “That is a hilarious suggestion, given the competition.”

It’s a hilarious suggestion that Kennedy is actually competition for Biden and Trump.

16 Likes

This is a puzzle to me because the mist from a shower would also carry the buggers. If it wasn’t safe to shower in, then absolutely boil netti water.

Am I wrong?

Vote Mr Mind 2024!

5 Likes

I have cognitive problems, clearly," he admitted in 2012. "I have short-term memory loss, and I have longer-term memory loss that affects me

You read that and think “this is the person I want running the country”, then you might have brain worm issues yourself.

18 Likes

Normally you don’t turn your head upside down and fill your sinuses with shower water?

7 Likes