Hawaiian grocery store explains local culture on the side of its reusable bags

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/hawaiian-grocery-store-explain.html

13 Likes
8 Likes

Ah, good old Jan Ken Po, AKA rock-paper-scissors. I think the next verse, in case of stalemate, is something like “aye kana sho” but I have no idea what it means or even what language it might have come from.

1 Like

Now I want some shave ice, spam musubi, and POG.

5 Likes

That’s the Japanese name. There are a whole lot of Japanese in Hawaii.

I also see “mochi pounding,” which is uniquely Japanese.

1 Like

It’s Japanese and I’m pretty sure it’s “Aiko desho” not “aye kana sho”

2 Likes

Yes, I grew up with gross quantities of the second verse. Now that I think of it, I always thought it was a pidgin version of “I canna show” like… let’s go for round 2 with these rock/paper/scissors.

1 Like

In Hawaii we always said it like “I canna show” but let me consult my Nijongo speaking aunts on the etymology.

4 Likes

Waiting for the local version of ‘rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock’.
Spock 'em!

3 Likes

I never could work out what the hell it was actually called, and I never admitted that to anybody until just this moment.

1 Like

“You use chopsticks for everyting… except maybe soup”. Raja dat. I walked into a friend’s house after a concert one night and (slack key guitarist) George Kahumoku was eating chocolate cake with chopsticks. Easy, brah…

4 Likes

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.