Healthcare.gov, US insurance marketplace which opens today, snagged by technical problems

I think this sums up the situation pretty well.

3 Likes

The bad news is it isnā€™t one website, its around 30 (one by the feds, twenty some from states that did it themselves).

The good news is they have about 90 days to sign people up in time for the plans to go into effect, so as long as the problems can be resolved in a month or so everything should be fine.

BTW a good example of a form of government inefficiency which is higher in the US than in most countries: we have fifty-some duplicates of many bureaucracies.

1 Like

As much as I hate to even think that this would happen, I really believe that itā€™s a damn good probability that there are right wing morons doing their very best to stop this from working in any way, shape or form. If that means they have to DDOS the system, they will.

Fucking with Obamacare was the whole point of the shutdown. Itā€™s working as intended.

1 Like

One of the primary effects seem to be inducing apoplectic fits when susceptible individuals are exposed to itā€¦

This is the best, most succinct argument for Obamacare that I have ever read. And I am against this debacle, except now, perhaps not.

2 Likes

No, trust me on this - DHHS does NOT need any right wing morons to screw up some software!
They can do that just fine all by themselves.

Now, the stupid part is, they already have the Medicare site running like it was written byā€¦federal officials. Itā€™s a mess. And the ā€˜securityā€™ crap is as an earlier commenter said. Itā€™s not as if they didnā€™t know - there have been complaints. And, we can expect Obamacare to run at best as well as Medicare - which can make it take MONTHS to approve cancer treatment.

But the worst, so far, was Sibelius trying to compare her joke of a website (farm) to Apple products. Honey - nobody dies when their Apple product is buggy. Telling people they can appeal within 18 months when youā€™re talking about their freakinā€™ lives isā€¦salt in the not-so-proverbial wound. But then, SSA has allowed tens of thousands to die waiting for their benefits. Which worked out pretty well for Sibelius, actually. You donā€™t hear them bitching about it any more, do you?

Ms. Director Sibelius,

Perhaps you should check and see if NSA needs any help? I hear they have no idea how their stuff works, either. (Although, to be fair, it does apparently work.)

Say! Maybe, you could go compare them to Microsoft, or something. You know, smooth it all over, right? Because, nobody needs actual healthcare anyway, right? Itā€™s justā€¦like, you know. Tunes while they work out and neat stuff like that. They really just need to feel good about your wonderful intentions.

Sincerely, Whole-Heartedly,
F. Offendie

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting for the NSA to get back to me when the system is clear, since they know where Iā€™ve been and my attempts at getting on the site. In fact, they already know all of my demographics, SS#, good and bad habits, and since that part of the government isnā€™t shut down, they should go ahead and fill in my info, and fire off an email to inform me when itā€™s completed.

2 Likes

Dunno whatā€™s up. I just heard the patent examiners are all at work. I honestly donā€™t know if itā€™s because Congress played Letā€™s Make a Deal, or because the patent troll lobby is more powerful than us, too.

ā€¦the majority of 'mericuns donā€™t want that (euphemism) (euphemism) (euphemism).
Iā€™m guessing the first euphemism really stands for ā€œuppityā€.

1 Like

Because competition! One bureaucracy would be tyrannical; 50-some bureaucracies are folklore. Of course, then people bitch about inefficiency and waste. Full cake on your table and in your stomach at same time, have cannot you, young Jedis.

1 Like

Truly anxious here to see the hysterical shitkickers thwarted and infuriated for the final time on ACA, what they consider a patriot I condemn as a traitor, what they consider a traitor I exalt as a patriot.

In that spirit, as many as possible patriotic tech-savvy citizens should try and register at Healthcare.gov these first few days, give full and concise feedback on the glitches and possible fixes, help get them fixed ASAP, get millions registered for ACA, millions.

Maybe then the knuckle draggers can move on to 4) Depression and 5) Acceptance, although they skipped 3) Bargaining.
Or maybe build a wall around Texas, slither their way in and secede from the Union. They can have Texas, they love it there, with itsā€™ gloriously unregulated explosives factories and vicepresidents shooting people in the face with no accountability. Republican Paradise, what a dysfunctional place.

For a minute there, I thought the most famous Finnish composer of all time had reincarnated as a US politician. But no, itā€™s just Kathleen SEbelius. Phew.

Dudeā€¦ smokers put a massive cost on the healthcare system so if theyā€™re hit with prohibitive costs that are in place to encourage them to quit or pay for their impact then thatā€™s a system working. I agree that it could be problematic charging people for what is an addiction, but Iā€™d highly recommend the US simply implement ridiculously high taxes on the cigarettes themselves as we do in Australia.

Here a pack of 25 cigarettes costs upwards of $20 and even at that cost the tax revenue doesnā€™t even cover much of the impact smokers have on the health system. Before civil liberties smoking douchebags jump in: Iā€™m a smoker (well, I mix tobacco with weed)ā€¦ I just think that people need to take responsibility for the cost of their choices. Except kids who grew up in the homes of heavy smokers who smoked inside, most people are responsible at some point for taking up the habit.

Edit: The other thing is that, if they are serious about quitting and will likely succeed, thereā€™s nothing stopping them from listing non-smoker on the forms. The only caveat is that if they donā€™t succeed in quitting and then they get sick with a smoking-related illness then theyā€™re up some sort of creek without a paddle.

Anywayā€¦ Iā€™m loving the commentary of butthurt retardlicans on twitter over this. Welcome to the civilised world America, itā€™s been a while coming!

1 Like

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I was under the impression that that was the original plan, but the GOP got pissy and demanded it be watered down to its present form?

Can you understand when the Tea Party says that the Federal Government is comprised of many overpaid, unaccountable partisans who wield too much power in an incompetent and biased fashion?

They had over three years to design and test this website and it crashes the first day. Hence the phrase, ā€œGood enough for government workā€.

1 Like

Thing is, a government run by 100% tea partiers, whatever that is, would build the same crap websites.

There is no magical ā€œmake things run by the government not suckā€ button. Other than privatizing it all, I guess, and then you have an entirely different set of problems.

6 Likes

I kept getting totally blank fields for the security questions. Happened in two different browsers.

Yes, that happened to me as well.

You know, they passed one whole law in their years in office, now they try to repeal it - again - Iā€™ve lost count of how many times theyā€™ve attempted to repeal Obamacare. Sorry House, move on with it. Maybe you can even pass one more law before we boot you out office, dicks.