Hear a climbing expert explain all the ways that Mt. Everest can kill you

Originally published at: Hear a climbing expert explain all the ways that Mt. Everest can kill you | Boing Boing

2 Likes

season 1 nietzsche and a beer run GIF by mom

11 Likes

Yeah, not my thing either. Near-certain death tends to put me off things, but if overly-motivated people want to risk death in remote places, that’s their choice. I recommend a brightly coloured coat in case of poor life choices.

13 Likes

… I started reading Into Thin Air, wherein the climbers visited a clinic on the way up, and I wondered why anybody would want to go higher than the highest village with a doctor in it

I bet the scenery is plenty impressive right there

10 Likes

Yeah, I don’t consider going out of range of any emergency or medical help as particularly adding to the adventure. Obviously people disagree :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

I’m told that compared to other mountains of similar height, from a mountaineering POV Mt. Everest isn’t really that difficult to climb, except for a few somewhat tricky places (which, given the popularity of Mt. Everest, have by now probably been extensively adorned with pitons, ropes, ladders, etc.). K2 and Nanga Parbat, for example, are considered way more demanding than Mt. Everest even though they’re not as tall.

3 Likes

… and here is where we all smash our emergency transponders and vent our oxygen tanks, to make the trip that much more exciting :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I’ve been to the top of Pikes Peak, it was in the upper 80s at the base with snow on the ground at the top.

It was amazing being above the clouds, it’s one of those situations that really makes you think about life and how amazing this world is. I’d like to do it again.

That’s a relatively easy drive in a car, if I could drive to the top of Everest I’d be all in, but hiking? Nope.

Of course I’m in no shape to even dream about it but still, nope.

4 Likes

I once went to the top of Mount Scott in Oklahoma. It’s 2,464 ft. That’s sufficient for me. Also, no actual climbing was required because there’s a road all the way to the top. That’s my kind of mountain climbing!

7 Likes

If the cold and low oxygen don’t get you, the yeti snipers will.

12 Likes

Human Physiology at Extreme Altitudes on Mount Everest

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.6364351

4 Likes

My wife and did some volunteer work in the Everest area 20yrs ago - data gathering and first aid awareness for a NGO devoted to porter welfare.

The things we saw were eye opening. While trekkers (fancy term for hikers) were galavanting up from hut to hut - the people slogging up luggage, food and supplies weren’t far behind. Many wore flip flops at almost 5000m - trudging under terrible loads for $8USD per day.

The health clinics staffed by groups like Medicine Sans Frontiers did treat porters in need - though many were reluctant to seek aid due to losing income.

There was a fascinating misunderstanding with trekkers that their porters were high altitude Sherpas - when in fact most were from lowland subtropical areas such as the Terai - less equipped to deal with the dangers of higher mountain environments.

I doubt much has changed in 20yrs - other than you have better odds today of finding a doctor who’s on an expedition than ever before. Everest Base Camp is now a zoo - and MDs are just the kind of type-A personality to want to be there.

10 Likes

Many dangers await those brave enough to make an attempt at the summit

We’re going with “brave” are we?

8 Likes

Do not taunt Happy Fun Mountain.

5 Likes

When she started listing off the cardio-pulmonary issues, I realized I’d never make it past base camp with my lungs.

2 Likes

If you drive or travel in a car, you are taking part in something more dangerous than mountaineering.

2 Likes

Climbing mountains is singularly stupid, car accidents are proof that millions of people are stupid.

I’m not sure either is “better.”

4 Likes

What about parasailing off a mountaintop in your car? /s

1 Like

I’m just here wondering why everyone isn’t skydive-commuting.

2 Likes

I support the use of flying-squirrel suits, but not sure about sticking the landing. :man_shrugging: