Heavy metalized version of Will Smith assaults and award speech

Originally published at: Heavy metalized version of Will Smith assaults and award speech | Boing Boing

2 Likes

0j1ndjdpr2ox

6 Likes

I never really got the idea of Roasting people. Is it a specifically American thing?

1 Like

I’m gonna throw in Mono Neon’s treatment of the same event.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Can I add…

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

enough republican national convention GIF by Election 2016

4 Likes

There is music in everything.

1 Like

I think it’s mostly an old-school comedian thing (w/ Rock being very much a youngster in that camp).

2 Likes

Nice! I don’t really have anywhere else to go for this kinda stuff, so keep 'em coming! (sorry, no cutsie gif-y)

LOL, that is quite well done. As someone else has already said, this entire thing will likely supplant the Batman-Robin slapping meme in many cases…

No idea, but as a kid, I remember the first time seeing someone getting roasted (on HBO or something like that? It was pretty racy for broadcast if so) and thinking, “how are they not in a fight right now”? It was scathing. The stuff that goes on at these things (award shows) usually seems very much the “lite” version of that…maybe the roasting thing involving mostly/all comedians is more scathing because they have thicker skins from years of hecklers and the way they talk to each other, and it’s more “inside baseball”?

All I can say is - I’d be terrified to roast the likes of Frank Sinatra… :scream:

1 Like

In the United States, we long ago decided that insults are funny and roasting people is common. And we’re all supposed to be good sports about it when done in a public venue, even when the jokes cross the border into racist, sexist, ableist tropes. Frankly, this is one of the (many) reasons I don’t watch such celebrity shows. I find it cringe inducing to see people on a night where they’ve gone to celebrate each other throwing insults and laughing. It’s not funny. It’s dumb, clownish, and painful to see. There’s a place for a roast. It’s called “A roast.” The rest of the time at these shows, maybe they can focus on comedy instead of insults.

Yes, I’m not fun at parties. And I’m sure many would think I’m a stiff old fuddy duddy. Oh well. An explanation was asked for and I provided additional opinion.

2 Likes

Thank you. I feel sorry the Will and Jada didn’t just get up and leave the show.

2 Likes

I wish they had. It would have garnered a few minutes of people mocking them for “not being able to take a joke,” and we wouldn’t have had to read about this for the past week (feels like it’s been WAY longer). I just feel like our society defaults too hard to being “mean” as the equivalent of being funny. There’s probably some long, deep cultural study one could go into as to why that is, and how jokes about “your mother” at an early age are part of this societal acceptance of insults as jokes. But I fear we go WAY too far, from good natured ribbing into just bashing people for existing.

2 Likes

It’s hard to pick which of these I like better. Both are quite good…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.