Watch: uncensored clip of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock in the face at the Academy Awards

Originally published at: Watch: uncensored clip of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock in the face at the Academy Awards | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Of course, it was only censored because Will Smith said the word “fucking.”

This also resulted in tonight’s Academy Awards ceremony being given an R rating by the MPAA.

22 Likes

Well… that was unexpected!

7 Likes

They’re allowed one “fuck” at that time slot, but he had to go ahead and say it twice. Have to protect the ears of the little kiddies, you know. Otherwise they might start using swear words in the school yard, and then where would we be?

A little light gunplay on the other hand, that would have been fine. Just don’t say “fuck”.

43 Likes

I’m not defending anyone here but maybe let’s try not to make fun of how people look. It’s at best crude and at worst, well I can’t think of a word that fully signifies how bad it really looks.

36 Likes
55 Likes

Geez. You play enough mentally unbalanced superheroes and you start to think you are one.
Classless.

10 Likes

I honestly expected a no-name rapper half Will’s age to jump in front of him at the last second to slap Chris instead

6 Likes

Damn…

23 Likes
9 Likes

So, he perhaps meant to say ‘life imitates art,’ eh?

[one hates to see violence-as-a-means-to-exposure being mimicked seemingly everywhere. Thanks, Bannon et al.]

1 Like

forget will smith GIF

Confused Tom Hanks GIF

21 Likes

Oh god, I’m getting very good at stepping in it of late, aren’t I?

Anyway, I lay the coarsening of culture, to the point of violence, at the feet of the frightened whities.

1 Like

Whether or not you agree with what Smith did, it sure as fuck did not have anything to do with Bannon and his ilk. It was a man who felt like his wife was offended (and, from her face, it appears that she WAS hurt by Rock’s “joke”) and he took action. We can certainly quibble about whether or not it was the correct action, but FFS, it’s not like we were all peaceful, and Trump came along and all of a sudden violence erupted. Stop attributing EVERYTHING that you dislike about human beings to Trump and his lot. They are not responsible for all the ills of society, even if they’ve managed to benefit from them.

37 Likes

I defer to your professorial status, but it seems like there’s more violence in the public square, and more threats of violence in public discourse, now versus even five years ago. And I think that most - not all - of this is coming from the right. I may well be wrong. But I don’t think I was blaming [the former occupant of the White House] for anything other than being part and parcel of this escalation of violent rhetoric, and the normalization thereof, especially of late. By no measure do I blame all ills on one person.

2 Likes

crock of gold

How about we worry about the violence that kills people, via guns, misogyny, transphobia, and racism (etc), as opposed to a dude slapping another dude for insulting his wife’s medical condition. Given the very real slide into fascism happening ALL around us, this is not something to believe is indicative of that slide.

If you want to focus on violence in entertainment, how about American football, which literally destroys the health of mostly Black men for the edification of mostly white dudes who are trying to relive their glory days. Or films/TV shows that stereotype various minority groups.

33 Likes

Damn, that was some Dothraki wedding level shit!

1 Like

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

12 Likes

Holy fucksocks;

And it’s certain that was real, not some sort of stunt?

28 Likes