Hedgehog Facts

Such a travesty! At least they apologized:

7 Likes

I’m sad today and these are really helping to cheer me a bit. Thanks.

7 Likes

Sorry you’re sad, glad we can help in our small, absurd way. Oh, I forgot to mention here that yesterday was National Nose Lick Day.

12 Likes

Vitruvian Hedgehog (c. 1490). Experts remain unsure whether the work is an original by Da Vinci, or a student’s sketch. Regardless of origin, the work illustrates the perfection of proportions, and remarkable mathematical harmonies found in the hedgehog form.

4 Likes

A story about an epic battle between prehistoric megafauna bear vs honey badger, a bear expert, and a hedgehog.

11 Likes

Only slightly hedgehog related, March Mammal Madness has ended. The championship was short faced bear vs. honey badger. Or as I preferred, Megafaunal Bearmageddon vs. Meme Badger. Short faced bear won, as seemed inevitable. Not everyone really understood what the fearsome and fearless honey badger was facing, so I made this helpful infographic to explain:

(Stoats are a traditional unit of measure in MMM)

I also made this less helpful, but still fun graphic.

MMM was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen to teach & promote interest in science. Tons of schools participated, lots of students, teachers, park rangers, and random people were all highly engaged in a science education performance, great sciart people participating and illustrating, with great narration (with citations). Also we got a bronze medal which is cool.

Despite my hedgehog/skunk bias, my bracket did, well, okay.

I made a lot of oddball art, some odder than other.

The rare vertebrate sea urchin.

Guanaco’s spitting attack made it a fan favorite.

Ninja squirrels/monkeys helped explain to otherwise difficult to explain upsets.

The winner gets Wheaties box. I made better version in advance.

So if you like science and helping support science education, next March it’s on again.

10 Likes

8 Likes

Today I heard her Highness rumbling about the Polite Side of the Force being weak, and learned she had turned to the Dark Side.

10 Likes

OMG:

8 Likes

It’s hard to stop once you get going…

Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope - Even More Special Edition

The Force is strong with this one.

My favorite scene from the Star Wars was the fight scene with the Gorn.

11 Likes

We were just at Vasquez Rocks last weekend. I wonder how many other visitors hum the battle music when they visit.

I bet it’s a lot.

5 Likes

I have only one question.

Were the neanderthals 24 Hour Party People?

4 Likes

They were until they met the short-faced bear (Megafaunal Bearmageddon).

5 Likes

Fact: We have a new story posted in which Her Highness turns to the Dark side, squirrels Rebels do squirrelly things, and math jokes are punished.

Also, there should be some word for when you really ought to stop photoshopping a topic you’d planned to be finished with, but where you’re compelled to keep going. Or at least a better word than obsessive-compulsive.

10 Likes

Hedge Zeppelin - The Quills Remain The Same

New Order - Unknown Hedgehogs

Meat Loaf - Hedgehog Out of Hell
(scrutinizing this album cover to modify it was painful - such horrible art)

It had to happen.

Needlevana - Narglemind

The Beatles - Hedgie Road

HISS - Hedgie Metal

Duran Duran - Pokito

More Disney. Sorry. Not sorry.

The hidden hedgehog on the Sgt. Pepper cover.

9 Likes

New Order?

11 Likes

Well, New Order minus the one guy… And with a different name. But, yeah, no, there’s no excuse.

4 Likes

so next book - Hedgehogs in pop culture
Or did you already announce that and I’m just too dazzled by hedgehog awesomeness that I missed it?

4 Likes

We really should be forcing ourselves into work on the next book, though the current plan is a children’s book. Perhaps involving a polite hedgehog’s trip to a museum with an unruly squirrel friend where interesting things happen, manners are poorly minded, and certain art is recycled… Still in the hazy thinking about story ideas part, though, and haven’t committed work yet.

After that, we were mulling art from 40,000 years ago through the Middle Ages as a followup, since the intellectual property worries are much less horrific than anything recent. But that’s a fuzzy maybe, since I have no idea what I’ll really be doing. Probably messing around on Twitter joking around with squirrels more than anything.

7 Likes

Oh look… the princess will be able to share shelf space with Uncle Bill…