Hedgehog Facts

Little known hedgehog fact, Dali’s The Persistence of Hedgehog (1930) was the first major surrealist piece of hedgehog art.

16 Likes

This portrait of Sir Brooke Boothby (by Joseph Wright) is a notable though less well known work of hedgehog art. Note the symbolic posing in nature with a copy of Rousseau’s essays, and the symbolic hedgehog.

11 Likes

Paul DeLaroche’s “Pricklepants in Prison” (1824) is a stunning representation of the historic trial of Lucretia Pricklepants, accused of witchcraft when her Table of Invisibility worked a bit too well. Fortunately, the table worked well enough that she was able to disappear mysteriously from the gaol she was held in.

10 Likes

Johann Peter Krafft’s 1855 “Faust on Easter Morning Holding a Hedgehog” was based on a confusion due to the similarities between the German word for hedgehog, “Egel,” and the German word for selling one’s soul to gain knowledge, “faustischen Pakt.” It was corrected in a subsequent version. Despite being a mistake, this version holds a special place in the hearts of hedgehog art historians since it was an understandable mistake, and because it’s a painting that has a hedgehog in it.

12 Likes
13 Likes

That dude is so DTF it’s not even funny. Pity about the package, hopefully he’s a grower.

Hedgezilla vs. Disney Tokyo is a little known crossover, though well worth watching. The scene where Hedgezilla arrives and the DisneySea defense forces release the multi-stage transforming defense robot wearing a Mickey Hat that fires lasers from the ears is unforgettable.

8 Likes

Fact: 9/10 hedgehogs believe everything was cooler in the 80s.

16 Likes

So happy you’re back!

11 Likes

Fact: there’s a new hedgehog-princess-related story which will surely amuse and delight any brave enough to read it in which Her Highness tries being a Viking, fails to enjoy life as a squirrel, and wears numerous hats, among many other things. There are also many delightful photos which we hope you enjoy!

7 Likes

Additional fact: after a hiatus due to general sadness at the loss of Penelope, we’ll be trying to maintain the story/blog post output a bit more.

8 Likes

Just subscribed!

4 Likes

Fact: The Hedgehog Scare of the 50s was a very strange time.

10 Likes

8 Likes

Fact: The hedgehog scare was really very strange.

15 Likes

Fact: It’s amazing how much of this Hedgehog Peril material those people pumped out so quickly, way back then.

13 Likes

I want the Hedgehog Madness poster on a t-shirt, stat!

6 Likes

Oh that’s a good idea. I wanted to redo some of it so I have a better reason now besides perfectionism.

5 Likes

Give me one of those “hooked” T’s as well. I’ll pay good American cash money for that.

3 Likes

“Assassin of Feet” Hedgehog Scare propaganda poster (1937), an early example of the genre.

3 Likes