Hedgehog Facts

We approve of the Royal Seal of Approval, which was also approved of by seals.

15 Likes

The seals didn’t insist on the inclusion of sea lions rampant?

(or at least couchant, they don’t really seem to offer more strenuous poses when out of water)

4 Likes

Shh, the designers secretly used sea lions, but didn’t want the seals to find out.

4 Likes

My lips are sealed.

5 Likes

Fact: hedgehog are not only the most artistic animal, but also are popular models in the arts.

(Been working on sorting out filters/actions to transform a photo into something stylized as a drawing with water color-ish tints. Making progress)

10 Likes

Stop me if this is obvious; but have you played with any of the image tracing/vectorization tools? Aside from being really useful for salvaging otherwise unsalvageable graphics situations(So, you want that floorplan printed poster-size and all you have is a 4th-generation xeroxed paper copy and a $50 scanner to digitize it with? Bitmap scaling is not going to save you…) the results have a very drawing-y quality to them.

3 Likes

I use Illustrator’s “Make Drawing” as a part of the process to get a vectorized drawing, though I have to tweak the image a lot before feeding it into that so that there’s something that can be defined as lines by Illustrator. The B&W image in the seal is one of those. I’ve been using that drawing output as a layer in PS for other things. Since photos don’t have nice clear boundary lines between the elements of the image, I have to do a bit of work to define boundaries and edges as things that will be interpreted as lines.

2 Likes

Fact: Hedgezilla is the greatest kaiju.

8 Likes

Can you tell us facts about the wee princess Perdita?
e.g., does she have a personality?
Her age and weight? (or is that something a hedgehog would never tell?)

5 Likes

Perdita’s a very busy hedgehog. When she’s out she’s always moving about sniffing around and exploring. When we’ve set things up for photo shoots she’s definitely not interested in sitting still and really likes to destroy the sets by digging under the props. She’s quite brave for a hedgehog, and doesn’t really quill much except for when there are sudden noises (no hedgie can cope with sudden loud sounds). She was hand raised, so she’s really good with being held, and likes to have her head pet. She’s less cuddly than Penelope, though she likes to sit on my chest and burrow under my hand. She’s very good tempered and hasn’t bitten anyone (yet). She’s got a funny, very distinct snuffling sound she makes when she’s annoyed, that’s a little like a small sneeze. She does not like the dog Sherlock. Sherlock is very, very interested in her, though.

She’s right around three months old now, so she’s gone through her first quilling. They regrow a set around two months, and are a little grumpy while that’s going down, though she handled it like a champ. She’s around 9 oz now, and still growing. She’s a little pudgier than Penelope, since she’s much less picky about food (though, she too won’t eat crickets/mealworms). This is a relief, really, since Penelope was a bit too picky and too skinny.

18 Likes

In case you haven’t seen this yet.

5 Likes

Fact: Hedgehogs are the cutest rebels.

I made this one year ago, today. Time flies.

19 Likes

Awww, who’s the rebel with tiny paws? You are.

13 Likes

Fact: evolutionary pressure caused hedgehogs to be ideal models for Art Nouveau works.

12 Likes

further evidence:

13 Likes

Very sweet.

(I think the spelling in the first one is correct?–herisson ?)

eta: I meant the double-s. Didn’t mean to imply no accent on the e, that was a typo, ha ha :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Kunisada’s Dawn at Futami-ga-ura with Hedgezilla, c. 1962 was a very late era Ukiyo-e print remarkable in content and composition as the first work to fully bridge Hedgezilla and hedgehog art history.

15 Likes

Little known fact, hedgehogs need surprisingly small parachutes due to weight ratios and other engineering-sounding terms.

11 Likes

a piece from my Mother’s estate for your evaluation

15 Likes

Oh, that is superb!

2 Likes