Hell on Earth: how to imprison a person for 1,000 years

In other words “How can we torture people, completely destroy them, rip out their souls and shred their sanity forever without leaving marks or any evidence that we did it.”

Rebecca Roache, you are not a “philosopher”. You are a monster. I will not shed a tear if you die a slow, lingering, agonizing, degrading death. Because that is something less than what you are trying to create for others you miserable fucking excuse for a human being.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks this is great news? If we can extend pain by 1,000 years, surely we can use the technology to draw out pleasure for 1,000 years!

1 Like

‘The worrying suspicion that someone, somewhere, is having fun…’

2 Likes

Remember what Yoo and Cheney and Bush said. It’s not, y’know “torture torture” unless there’s actually a major organ failing.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’m glad she’s on “our” side, because she’d fit right in, should she choose to change alignment and start engineering torture/death chambers for some less-than-democratic regime.

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a happy blog, exactly… It long ago stopped being a directory of wonderful things, just by virtue of all the awful things it cataloged. And there are certainly some pretty bad bits of news I’d rather read here first than in other places…

Mostly I agree with you, though, that this topic is not worthy of this blog. It goes into my category of, “Pulling wings off of flies”- I’m sure there are ways of using solar power and an arduino to remove those wings, but I don’t really need to know about them. While I’d hope that some sense of editorial propriety might kick in before someone hit Enter, there’s a limit to my outrage when this is sadly not the case.

To this blog’s credit, I haven’t seen any gore above the fold in quite some time. At least this one is ideologically nauseating, rather than just a kick in the stomach shock image.

I think the last time they covered a topic this dumb, was, “keeping a severed head alive in a jar”.

3 Likes

So Oxford employs a team of disgusting sadists?

3 Likes

Most studies agree that “Getting tough on crime” and mandatory sentencing minimums don’t work. We (human’s) are not really deterred by how bad the punishment is, we are more deterred by the likelihood of being caught. These sort of ideas really only benefit the Prison INC. model of criminal rehabilitation.

As others in the thread have already pointed out, if you can use techno-pharmacology to ‘reprogram’ people for punishment, what would stop them from ‘reprogramming’ people for ‘good’? This is an excellent point, considering that history demonstrates, prisoners have traditionally been used as guinea pigs in sadistic pseudoscience experiments.

3 Likes

See Arthur C. Clarke, the Lion of Comarre.

Indeed. I’m an atheist, but if there is a God, and a Hell, and souls being sentenced to eternal damnation for finite crimes, then that alone is sufficient moral justification to oppose God’s plan, whatever it may be, in any way possible.

Now, a lot of folks (I have Christian folks in mind, but obviously it’s not just them) would condemn me for that thought, on the grounds that because God does it, it’s good. But imagine a choir of angels comes down from heaven, appears to your entire community, and declares that the Aztecs had it right all along, and why did we stop all the human sacrifices? I very much doubt your first response would be “Start building step pyramids and carving obsidian knives.”

2 Likes

I agree, this is neither clever, nor useful. Not to think about, or debate, or even fight against. I mean, by the time this is being seriously proposed in legislature, it’s too late for the polity at large.

Y’know what else is evil and dumb? Solitary confinement. Which is already being (over)used as a matter of course. Those jailers that think it’s a good idea creep me out about as much as this person.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t expect Cheney or Bush to consider the brain a major organ.

3 Likes

Maybe it was just Jabba that didn’t understand how it works?

2 Likes

In that case, it’s just enhanced incarceration.

1 Like

8 Likes

Oh, so you mean torture? Great idea!

4 Likes

Maybe it is a place which draws your attention to things which need your attention.

4 Likes

There is enough horror in existence without human beings continuously coming up with new, creative methods of inflicting horror on each other. Stop bending your immensely powerful faculty of imagination toward new ways of causing pain to others.

5 Likes

You gonna try to reason with a vicious normal who is trying to cram a thousand years of punishment into one lifetime?

3 Likes

this idea is sick and stupid.
Let the author try this idea on themselves first so that they may determine if this really a good idea.
Isn’t paying taxes for a lifetime to an inept government bad enough as it is?

1 Like

A not very insignificant number of Christians I know would say “Alright! Death to the infidels!” For most people, obedience to the alpha male is the beginning and end of all morality.

4 Likes