Help me pick a dumbphone

A '80 Volkswagon Westfalia filled with cast iron cookware.

Wait, which thread is this?

28 Likes

It doesn’t matter which one. Just get away from your smart phone.

But do buy a good, compact GPS.

1 Like

Give up texts! Give them up–they are a terrible way to communicate and they should be free as in beer. Any plan that upcharges on texting is ripping you off. Fight back, with a John’s Phone.

It’s indestructible. It’s got a standby time of about three weeks. It’s adorable. Folks take pictures of my John’s phone.

11 Likes

I can’t remember what I used to do before I got access to GPS… I guess I just got lost a lot more.

1 Like

They definitely share DNA, at least, though I imagine that minor revisions occur with nearly bacterial speed. Given that you can get one to use and 9 failover units for the cost of a low-end ‘smart’ phone, I’d be tempted.

I’m also just amazed that they can pump those things out for less than the cost of a couple draft pints. Oh brave new world that has so many transistors in it.

3 Likes

$20 flip phone, $35 unlimited voice, data, and text. (250 meg of 3g data, but who’s doing data stuff on a flip phone?) http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/alcatel-speakeasy-phone/features/#plan

perfect timing! i recently made this decision myself!

the Nokia 515 was my first stop, my friend got one last year and i really liked the hand feel and how classic it was. the price point however was killing me and after consideration, the features of the 515 only make it that much better than the 301 but that wasn’t the point in getting this phone, at least for me. the 3.5-5mp camera wasn’t going to make a difference. same series 40 OS and gorilla glass on a phone i already figured would be more durable than my smartphone. after knocking the 515 out of the picture, the 208 and 301 were my two contenders. the 130 was too cheap and i feared i would not like the feel. the 208 has notably crummy battery life for a nokia but i did like that it used microsim but using an adapter isn’t that bad/getting a new sim. the 301 fits all my needs, it was cheap, the battery lasts for days and it does everything my old Nokia did, plus twitter! i’d say shoot for the 301, if the dumbphone thing seems like a permanent fixture for you the 515 seems like the best candybar phone ever, if only it were cheaper! hope this helps in your decision!

Is there a Tumblr for photos of John’s Phones?

3 Likes

I bought a Blu Samba TV phone for my son. I liked it. I didn’t care that it looked cheap, or had a TV antenna included. It was inexpensive and surprisingly durable, plus had the ability to use two SIM cards. I can vouch that it works on T-Mobile’s network GSM network.

1 Like

If you can still get an LG env3, they’re great. Have two in the family, been going for at least five years without any desires to upgrade to a smartphone. Haven’t even needed new batteries! Includes flip-phone fun with a qwerty kb for textyness. Even has a free minimalist email app via Verizon that’s neanderthal enough to keep you from getting too involved.

1 Like

One tech feature that Rob has not mentioned - plus or minus - is bluetooth.

I would think that a BT headset contributes to the “make calls” value of the device, but it needs to be checked off as a feature by Rob because some low-end devices might have that feature dropped away.

I’m also assuming he wants GSM or one of it’s ilk and and anything from the CDMA lineage.

1 Like

1 Like

This product seems aimed at persons at your…range:

14 Likes

There’s a few things that Whatsapp does better than straight-forward texts, but the main two are: free messaging*, including pictures, and group messaging.
The cheapness of messages isn’t that important (in the UK you only pay for texts you send, and most contracts give you a bajillion free ones), but it’s very useful if you’re in different countries. As a lot of my friends are from various European countries, they already use it to keep in touch with friends and family back home, so we’ve collectively settled on WA as a good way of organising social events.
If you don’t know a bunch of people who use Whatsapp already though it’s probably of no use to you.

• it uses data instead of your text allocation, so free as long as you’re on wifi, or cheap the rest of the time
4 Likes

Not everyone lives somewhere where unlimited texting plans are the norm.

2 Likes

Pantech Ease P2020

The phone for Jitterbug graduates.
Giant keyboard butons, able to send and recieve calls.
It took me six years to break this big dumb phone.
Now I use its spiritual successor the Pantech Renue, which is more square (litterally).

2 Likes

Why WhatsApp over something like Google Hangouts? Just first to market?

I took Rob’s idea one further; I never jumped to a smartphone at all and when I got to a place where I no longer needed a phone, I quit renewing my contract on my nokia dumbphone. so, no phone whatsoever anymore.

that said, I totally love this phone; in theory, anyhow. more tech you can write on, please.

2 Likes

Also, when you travel abroad and you want to text but don’t want to have to get a foreign SIM or pay your domestic provider an arm and a leg, just use your phone as a wifi device and WhatsApp is free (though you can only communicate with others who have it).

3 Likes

Second this. My Samsung Intensity II just turned 4 but basically the same phone, slide-out QWERTY keyboard (a must-have). Can’t recommend highly enough, in fact the only real issue is you have to unlock the screen to tell the time. And I miss a camera. But then again it’s a $30 device that’ll outlive your laptop.