Help me pick a dumbphone

Simple: make your own cell phone. Instructions (from easily obtainable parts) here: http://web.media.mit.edu/~mellis/cellphone/index.html

2 Likes

My wife and I recently gave up and took a gulp of the smartphone kool-aid. Our pre-paid flip-phones were dying, and more and more people were insisting on texting me at $0.20 per. Getting the right service is as important to me as the right phone, we donā€™t use the cell as primary so donā€™t need unlimited everything. I discovered the Airvoice Wireless $10/month plan. ATT MVNO: $0.04min/voice, $0.02/text, and $0.06mb/data. If you go over just put in another $10.

Next was $30 Nokia 520 smartphones. We turn off the data unless we absolutely need it, kinda like a data ā€œpay phoneā€. Best thing for this ā€œthumbs newbyā€ is being able to dictate texts. Only bad thing so far is WindowsPhone does not have any way to set persistent voicemail & text alerts. If you miss the first you wonā€™t know till you check the phone. Iā€™m going to try a $75 unlocked BLU Advance 4.0 Android because this is important to me.

3 Likes

I went through the same process as you @corbintron and ended up with the Nokia 301, which Iā€™ve been using on P-Tel (a T-Mobile MVNO) prepaid for the last month and I love it. I wish the 515 were cheaper, but the 301 is solid and feels just as strong, but lighter, than my Nokia 2128i from 10 years ago.

It felt a little awkward to use at first, but I soon got re-accustomed to the Nokia ā€œlogicā€ of the phone. I would probably hate one of the no-name phones since theyā€™re certainly lower-quality construction, worse UI (no threaded sms, for one) and shorter battery life than a Nokia. Oh, @beschizza, the 301 is also one of the only Nokia dumb-phones that uses micro-USB to charge, so you donā€™t have to toss out your old chargers and you can probably borrow your friendā€™s if you need it.

It took me four days mild use without charging it to half-kill the battery.

2 Likes

Get the absolutely cheapest cell phone you can off ebay, use it for two weeks, and then write up the experience as a Boing Boing feature.

5 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m seriously missing that. Iā€™ve had a hard time learning that the power button on a smart phone does NOT end the call!

1 Like

I like the look of those - dual sim, quad band, very cheap, off contract, decent looking but very basic. Iā€™d grab one of those if I were headed overseas for sure.

Side note: how is it that a whole phone like this costs less than the price of upgrading an iPad out with an LTE chip, and yet every phone that you buy from American carriers costs $400-$600 ā€œoff contractā€ - its crazy the level of price fixing the carriers engage in.

2 Likes

Fitā€™s nicely in your pocket too.

1 Like

Have you considered a $50-level watchphone, such as ZGPAXā€™s S28?

Or phones advertised for ā€˜elderlyā€™ people, such as the $30-ish Gusun F10?

2 Likes

One word of warning, while I think of it: ā€˜Tracphoneā€™ branded handsets and SIMs look like ordinary happy-swappy-GSM devices; but are not. Some aspect of the firmware has been tweaked to make them non-interoperable.

If you donā€™t mind using both their handset and their service(itā€™s not a terrible deal), this isnā€™t an issue; but do not buy a handset expecting to use somebody elseā€™s SIM, or service expecting to use somebody elseā€™s handset. Unless you are a haxxor guru, and possibly even then, it wonā€™t work.

3 Likes

I have a dumb phone still. I figured I spend enough time on line, do I really need it on my phone too? Also I save money with a small data plan I barely use.

I really liked my old Samsung slide phone. I have a similar one made by Pantech, though the battery isnt as good. I really like the side out key board design. Tactile keys I just use better. I wish they made a smart phone with one.

3 Likes

If not for the unsightly pocket bulge, this one is a tried and true performer.

13 Likes

I have the TT Phone
itā€™s a senior phone. looks nice, great price and been using it for more than a year now.
battery lasts the whole week.

Your post confused me for a while there. Paying to receive texts is such an alien concept here. (UK)

http://www.quora.com/Why-do-US-carriers-charge-for-incoming-calls-and-text-messages

4 Likes

Same here, I loved the older HTC models with the slide out keyboards. A hardware keyboard is so much nicer to use than touchscreens.

Sadly the industryā€™s obsession with making phones excessively thin is incompatible with the added thickness a physical keyboard requires :frowning:

3 Likes

That is the phone manufacturer cost and profit.
The carrier makes money off of the monthly payments, and will usually sell the phone/device at a loss.

I do find the large mark up for embedded wireless cards interesting though (for laptops, tablets, etc). My best guess is that the majority of devices with embedded cards are sold to business customers who require the functionality, and can also charge the cost of a premium device and the monthly data plan to a business account. If more consumers were buying wireless embedded decices, the prices would have to be more competitive.

1 Like

I still use an old Motorola Razr V3 flip phone. Had it for more than a decade and it still works fine. Compact, folds shut, slides into my pants pocket with no hassle. Looks good: metallic body and keyboard with good backlighting of the keys. Freat sound quality, good screen with minimal extras. Theoretically it has a browser but the screen is maybe 2 inches across and o no one int heir right mind would use that.

Battery seems to last forever and in fact still has the original battery. Itā€™s GSM (T-mobile int his case) and works all over the world anywhere Iā€™ve needed to use it.

1 Like

I still use the Nokia 1100 prepaid candy bar phone that I bought in 2005 for $99. Still works fine, just starting to show its age this year. About $100-150 per year in top-up minutes. I receive occasional texts on it but hardly ever send them myself since the standard phone keyboard where you have to press each button two or three times to enter each letter is pretty annoying. It would be nice to have a camera on it though.

Looks like the Nokia 215 is the current model that is most similar to this. Same annoying keyboard that would keep you from spending too much time sending texts. Bigger screen looks like it might be more likely to crack than the tiny plastic covered one on the 1100 but other than that, it doesnā€™t look like there is much on it that would be breakable.

One considerationā€¦

How to initially transfer contact data to the phone from whereever you currently have it. Had to do all kinds of data transformation gymnastics to get my momā€™s data from her old Sony Ericsson to her new Nokia 301.

For ongoing syncing, I think the Nokia 301 can sync to/from Google Contacts.

1 Like

Iā€™m definitely going to get one of those chinese third-shift specials,

2 Likes

Iā€™m traveling the same path. Iā€™ve already dumbed-down my iPhone 4S with the expectation of getting rid of it when my plan runs out this June. The key for me was to find a replacement for my calendar app: the 2.75" x 4.25" Moleskine pocket calendar has been great. Iā€™m such a tactile person that Iā€™ve loved writing again.

Have you looked into the Talkase Phone? It looks cool and is super small. Not sure how well it works, though.