Help your future self by imagining an invitation to a far-off event is tomorrow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/20/help-your-future-self-by-imagi.html

3 Likes

Can someone please explain to me the logic here? If the invitation to do a gig/meeting/task involves some preparation that would take a day or two (say preparing a medium-size PowerPoint presentation), then I would definitely be happy that the gig/meeting/task is weeks/months away. Therefore, in those cases asking oneself if one would accept tomorrow doesn’t really help. I can think of many gig/meeting/task that would need one or two days of preparation and even some that would take several days of preparation. Am I missing something?

3 Likes

In that case, imagine you have done the necessary prep work. Would you still want to go?

5 Likes

Thanks for the question @Logolepsy it’s exacy what I thought and thanks for the answer, it’s what I would have wanted. I like to accept invitations that stretch me and the idea that I should only do things I already can doesn’t appeal. I’ll try it out next week.

3 Likes

Would you still want to try it out, if you were going to try it out tomorrow?

14 Likes

My answer to this question would always be “no”.

In fact, the only reason I do anything new is by forcing myself to say “yes” to stuff by default. Which is easier to do if it’s more than a week away.

As with most self-help advice, I suspect this is mainly useful to people who don’t need help to begin with. If you’re getting good advice from your emotions, then you’re fine.

6 Likes

I’d be more likely to go tomorrow than at some point in the future after I’ve forgotten about it.

4 Likes

Help your future self by imagining an invitation to a far-off event is tomorrow

Another rousing game of Diagram That Sentence!

4 Likes

I’m going to miss it, whatever happens.

3 Likes

I would always say “no”. I’m always busy tomorrow!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.