Here are 36 cities that will be the first to be submerged as global water levels continue to rise

In May, 2022, a house in the outer banks of North Carolina also fell into the ocean near Rodanthe, NC, just a few months after another nearby housedid the same.

Ah yes - North Carolina where the Republicans tried to defeat rising sea levels by outlawing any discussion of rising sea levels.

7 Likes

Savannah was not on the list - it’s a bit back from the coast. It’s likely the area around the river will get some innudation, though. St. Simons and Tybee islands both were on this list, however and will be flooded before Savannah.

5 Likes

We’re going to lose the seawall path around downtown and False Creek. Cruise ships (if the industry survives) will gradually have to moor in English Bay because water levels will be high enough to make passing under the Lion’s Gate Bridge at anything except a very low tide almost impossible. Richmond will be one good dike failure away from being flooded. White Rock will be gone.
I’m on the highest point of land in the downtown core apart from Prospect Point and area in Stanley Park. This is why. (I’ll probably be killed in an earthquake anyhow.)

7 Likes

My phone could not quite decide on my elevation here. It settled at 0 meters above sea level. Fortunately we do invest quite a bit in the dikes. But yeah, we are screwed if sea level goes up.

4 Likes

Yes it is. #32:

The flood area shown in red appears to cover the entire region, hence my calling it out.

3 Likes

Ah. I was looking at the US list, which does not list Savannah (but Tybee which is a small barrier island right off the coast and about a half hour from the city itself.

But then again, looking at the map (as well as you can see it), much of what’s on the map is the barrier islands and marshlands around Savannah and up the river on the north side. But that does put the city at risk, either way.

4 Likes

Parts of cities on the west coast will be affected, but not as drastically. Probably has something to do with the geologic formation of the different areas and how old that formation is. Much of California was formed fairly recently on the geological scale. The Central Valley used to be an inland sea that drained to the ocean much further south of the Golden Gate. (Ever wonder how the Monterey Canyon formed?) All that tectonic plate action shoved things around and up, so there aren’t a lot of low-lying areas adjacent to the ocean.

That said, I remember standing on the Embarcadero in SF about 20 years ago, looking over the wall during a high tide, and thinking, “Ya know, another 3 feet and that water is going to be on this side of the wall.”

2 Likes

Mrs Peas is from Long Beach. It was essentially destroyed during Hurricane Sandy and all the single-story bungalows were jacked up to two stories and 10+ story apartment buildings are filling up the coastline road. The population has gotten significantly denser (in many ways) since then.

11 Likes

It’s good to know that New Orleans is safe. Or maybe they consider it already underwater.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Most of white rock will survive aside from the part beneath the cliffs. They’ll have to reroute rail traffic and the most popular part of the strip will be flooded, along with crescent beach. Burns Bog could disappear, unless they ignore things and let flooding and alluvial deposition do its thing… it’s a big old swamp, so It might come out more or less intact. The rest of Delta and Richmond is probably doomed, though

2 Likes

That’s not to say we’re all enlightened smartypantses who know not to put buildings right on the water … so much as that those buildings, which exist, were already a terrible idea before global warming for a whole other reason :grimacing:

4 Likes

This is a silly article / brainworm. Coastal cities are quite aware of the existence of the ocean. They measure their floodwalls by feet of storm surge over 24 hours, not inches per decade. You have not become smarter than the mayor of Miami by reading this, in fact you may have gotten dumber.

beyond the other stuff people mentioned is the weird fact that the oceans aren’t level. coastal gravity, salt levels, current, and topography can be the cause

although i think i read on average the pacific actually is higher than the atlantic - by 40cm ( 1.3 feet ) or something like that - the local coast lines can still be quite different than the average

( eta: this is better known as “the earth is not a cup of soup” model. at least… i hope that’s what climate scientists call it. )

8 Likes

19 Likes

are all cities sentient now? or just the coastal ones? and are they friends with the ocean or just merely - like you say aware? if i were a city i would have clear preferences. i’ve got to believe miami does.

12 Likes

Those levees are pretty high already, but they’re going to have to get higher

8 Likes

*dumberer

14 Likes

WRONG

14 Likes

Okay I don’t see San Diego, where I live, on that list so I guess I have NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

11 Likes