Here are the places you can travel with a US passport

Yes. It was a condition of them being able to eventually be considered for EU membership, because the Greeks believe they own the label Macedonia.

Cause tensions with Yugoslavia too when Macedonia was a republic in that country, just not as much.

:woman_shrugging:

@ficuswhisperer, Jinx!

8 Likes

And probably more than a few who doubted that such a country existed, and snarkiky asked if their President is Alexander the Great.

3 Likes

They should really build that wall already.

They might pay for it themselves if it means keeping us out for good.

2 Likes

It was “The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia” when I was getting my boots dirty there in the '90’s. I’m glad that they and Greece were able to move past this without going to war, as was the style at the time.

8 Likes

I think probably most people in the Balkans are done with war, given the destruction it brought… of course there is always a few guys who find the war business profitable in one way or another (and right now that looks like the Croatian right wing).

4 Likes

You can also get into New Zealand if you have a very good reason involving spending lots of money, such as wanting to shoot sequels to Avatar. But even then you’ll still have go into a couple of weeks’ quarantine in an actual supervised hotel (not a prison! Not a prison!) for which a fee of NZ$3,000 will be payable. Yes, we do have a CoViD death rate but it’s less than 1/100th that of Trumpland, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

I married into a Greek family. You cannot underestimate the amount of crazy that Greeks had when ‘Macedonia’ asserted its right to name itself. For quite a few years it was known in diplomatic circles as FYROM (Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia).

To be honest I’m impressed they go to keep the name at all if Greece had a seat at the table.

4 Likes

Probably doesn’t thrill them that every American history textbook goes out of its way to point out that Alexander the Great was Macedonian, not Greek.

2 Likes

I believe one of the reasons Mexico is open is because a similar percentage of Mexican citizens are in a similar state of denial about the seriousness of the disease as US citizens, if my observance in Tijuana can be relied upon as a solid indication.

5 Likes

These restrictions are not just for Americans. I’m Canadian and living in the US, and I am blocked from seeing my family because of this.

Yes, I can cross the border. However there is a mandatory 14-day hard lockdown for everyone in the place you stay when you land. Someone must bring you food, you cannot leave for any reason, and the RCMP is enforcing this with regular visits to check up in you. My in-laws and a couple of friends went through the process.

This is so logistically difficult for me in my situation that I’m effectively locked out. I can’t stay with my family, because my sister is an essential worker and this would lock her down for two weeks as soon as I set foot in her house. Hotels won’t let you quarantine there because the staff can’t get in the room (and imagine the cost of that). Maybe an AirBnB, but again, that’s going to be very expensive.

Furthermore, your travel must be deemed “essential”. You don’t know if your travel qualifies until you arrive and try to go through customs. You’re risking getting turned away and having to try and get an immediate (and costly) flight home. Because of COVID, many airline routes have been reduced or canceled, so you may be looking at a day or more of sitting in an air terminal waiting for the next flight because you can’t leave the customs pre-clearance area.

So, effectively it’s a ban on seeing my family. Wear your fucking masks, America.

11 Likes

Makes sense.

We were supposed to go to Kauai in May, which was clearly cancelled.
From what I’ve read, they want to try and let people come to the islands from the mainland if you can provide a negative test with results from 72 hours max prior to the flight. Otherwise, you cannot get on the flight.
As of now, people CAN technically fly to the islands, but you have to quarantine for 14 days.

3 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.