U.S. passports are worthless — "Welcome to the Plague States of America"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/13/u-s-passports-are-worthless.html

16 Likes

I’m surprised to see Mexico is still on the OK list! That’s some hollywood-level twist action.

12 Likes

The living will be lucky to exit their country within the next five years.

Wealthy yacht owners won’t have a problem with this.

14 Likes

One of the few places where Americans are less of a concern than the locals, unfortunately. Remember this is a list of countries willing to let us in, not one’s we think are okay to travel to.

As to the others, great, I can go attend services in the Hagia Sophia! I could use a religious “authority” to tell me that the Kurds need exterminating.

6 Likes

If the fucking asshole in The White House wins again, I will NEED to get out of here. How would I be able to make that happen?

17 Likes

In late February we applied for passports for two of our children. The third was to be done after their birthday, but at this point, ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Basically, I just shredded up some cash. Good times, good times.

16 Likes

Five years ago I never would have guessed that my U.S. passport would have been less valuable than my other one. Pandemic or not, though, in 2016 I saw the writing on the wall about where this country was headed and resolved that both passports would remain up to date.

22 Likes

Hengngh, a bunch of rich gringos flew to Sardinia on a private jet and got turned away.

Honestly, I knew we were on this slippery slope to third-world status when American kids started playing soccer.

10 Likes

Ireland has a 14 day quarantine rule. Assuming they don’t find a reason to close (they probably won’t unless the UK does because of the joint border), that’s your ticket. We’ll be right behind you.

4 Likes

Went to Guadeloupe (French Caribbean) two years ago, so kiddos had to get passports. My wife and I got ours updated. I was kind of annoyed at the time with all of the fees and process, but I’m glad we did it. Because November is going to be interesting.

7 Likes

Ireland’s EU, but not Schengen. I wonder if, after passing the 14 day quarantine in Ireland, the Schengen area will let an American passport holder in?

Granted, Ireland sounds like a beautiful country, and English is widely spoken there…

3 Likes

At this point, I am afraid that it is a matter of survival to bring this regime down. The sooner the better.

10 Likes

I was thrilled to visit there last summer, my first trip overseas. Ireland was magical. But the 14-day quarantine only covers Ireland, you’d still be restricted from the EU (I’m pretty sure, but I don’t have the definitive answer on that and may be wrong).

Ten out of ten, would totally move there if things go further south here (and they’d let us in).

6 Likes

Ha! My wife sent her US passport in for renewal in March for a trip to Italy in June…it’s not looking promising.

9 Likes

Yeah, this one of the reasons I prefer travel by land or sea - less security hassles. Too bad my only boat owning buddy lives in [shudders] Florida.

13 Likes

33 Likes

We are all Floridians now.

18 Likes

Ugh. A friend and I looked into getting paper married and moving to new zealand last summer. guess we literally missed the boat on that one.
Now my only hope is to find land on the left coast cheap enough that my blue-collar-paycheck-ass can actually afford and building a radical community in the middle of nowhere.
That always turns out fine, yah?

6 Likes

I am truly sorry about that. :disappointed:

2 Likes

It is ok. At least there are piña coladas.

5 Likes