Passports, ranked by country

[Read the post]

I’m having a hard time finding mine in the reds- but in the blues I stumbled across Kiribati which looks exactly like the base of my old/discontinued passport from back when it was blue. Made me wonder if they got shafted with all the old templates n when I saw their wiki entry (World Bank, IMF) I thought “yup, they’re shafted all right”.

Not sure about the sorting by color thing…The USA (and perhaps other countries) issues several different colors of passports…Regular passports are blue, official passports are brown, and diplomatic passports are black.

I did not know this. My perception was that EU passports are equally-ranked - I tend to think of myself as the holder of an EU passport which happens to have been issued in the UK. Evidently not!

1 Like

Obviously they know the British Passport is inherently superior to its European cousins, even after the EEC forced it to change from its proper blue colour in 1988.

2 Likes

It may be that colour change which confused me.

Wasn’t the old UK passport black, though?

What’s that, America’s Hat? Can’t hear you up here at the top.

10 Likes

Hey America Canada’s Pants. Are your kids still sewing maple leaf patches onto their backpacks to avoid scorn from the locals?

19 Likes

I think they just went with the color of the regular version. There is no real international standard for any of those colors.

British passports state:

Her Britannic Majesty’s Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.

That’s telling them.

And it has a unicorn on the cover.

17 Likes

I was really hoping they’d let me see the list of countries I can get into without a visa as well.
Sure it’s all publicly available data, but since they had to compile a database for the rankings, they may as well have shared it.

5 Likes

I have UK and Irish passports, and I may need them both if the UK decides to do something stupid in an upcoming referendum. Sometimes it’s helpful to be something other than British when certain topics come up, but it seems to be easier to travel to the US and some other countries on a British passport. On the other hand, Irish passports are proportionally the best used in the world:

The prize for the worst visa has to go to Gibraltar though:

3 Likes

Donde esta la biblioteca, eh?

Feels good to have a german Passport!
South Korea and France are our power ranking buddys

1 Like

British and American passports share the top spot.

Historically, best to let them in, before they break down the door.

I see Germany is not too far behind as well.

7 Likes

I always found it annoying that many countries don’t let you take on another nationality without renouncing your other one(s). Also, there are some weird rules about who is automatically entitled to which nationalities. My son has Chinese and UK passports (the Chinese one is temporary as you can’t really have dual nationality as a Chinese national), and theoretically is entitled to claim US and Irish nationalities too (my wife is German/USian). He can’t be German without some effort though, as Germany doesn’t recognise Chinese adoptions (although they do recognise him as our son). Our daughter was born in China, but she isn’t entitled to that nationality or to UK nationality, as I wasn’t born there. She is German and American though, and could also claim Irish nationality (even though she’s never been there and I don’t have any Irish ancestors). In some ways I would have been more British if I had immigrated to the UK without UK nationality and then naturalised - that way I could have passed on my nationality to my foreign-born daughter. My son gets in under the loophole that I am British enough for us to have completed the adoption with the UK and Chinese governments, which means that he had to accept UK nationality first (and therefore the UK gov. had to accept him).

4 Likes

Makes me wonder: what is the maximum number of nationalities you can legally acquire?

There must be lots of countries with minimal requirements you can get citizenship with.

(Not that you’d want to, tax season would be hellish)

Edit: The Internet is great:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-greatest-number-of-citizenships-ever-held-by-one-person

3 Likes

A very interesting take on reciprocity. It looks that the highest-ranking countries require visas for citizens of countries that do not reciprocate for whatever reason.

As far as I know, the US is unusual in the tax requirements it places on citizens abroad. I’ve never had this issue with my own passport countries. Isn’t it true that filling taxes isn’t obligatory for Americans abroad, but they can’t vote if their records aren’t up to date? If you’re still young, you also have to look out for national service in some countries (Singapore, for example - some Swiss/Irish/Singaporean friends of mine are trying to get an exception for their children at the moment).

In some cases it may be because of tourism which is pretty asymmetrical.