Passports, ranked by country

Really not sure. I have never been employed overseas and have 0 entitlement for dual citizenship.

Anecdotally, I have heard that working overseas (and even in multiple states during the tax year) requires paying taxes in multiple places. One presumes you get a lessened tax burden, otherwise it would be unaffordable to pay full taxes both places, and nobody would ever do it.

Yeah. In some other cases (Bulgaria, for example), EU rules apply (i.e. US passport holders do not require a visa), but the US still requires a visa for Bulgarian citizens.

When I worked for Oracle some years ago as a consultant we had to file taxes in every state in which we had worked for 80 or more hours. One year I filed taxes in 14 states and the District of Columbia.

It’s an enormous pain in the ass and very expensive in terms of accountant’s fees.

2 Likes

The US is one of a very few countries that requires ALL citizens and permanent residents to file taxes no matter where they live. Because of these requirements and onerous reporting requirements placed on foreign banks and companies, it is now very difficult for americans and green card holders to have bank accounts overseas - even in the country within which they hold citizenship.

All but one of my UK bank accounts was closed because of this, and I’m a UK citizen who lives and wrks in the US.

I’m pretty sure that if you are an American living overseas you DO have to file taxes every year and there are many people in trouble because they have not. Also you can’t renounce your citizenship until you pay all back taxes that the IRS may claim that you owe.

But at least Americans living overseas get to vote. UK citizens living overseas lose that right after ten years.

That is nuts. How does that happen?

I did consulting for a few years, and by virtue of my salary coming from our main corp. office I only had to file in one state (and country).

Hey, maybe you can answer me this: Why is the Canadian border patrol so worried about who is paying you for consulting work? Only thing I ever got grilled on entering Canada.

I will have to tell that one to MrsTobinL, she usually says Upper Mexico when she wants to be snarky.

8 Likes

Canada needs longer pants. Florida is hanging out all over the place.

14 Likes

My understanding as well. Though I seem to recall that Americans living overseas don’t have to pay US taxes on income below $100,000 or some similar number.

1 Like

There is nothing sadder than lonely untouched beaver.

What the Devil is that pentagram passport in the second row?

Edit: Turns out it’s Ethiopia. The Heathens.

1 Like

That is one seriously rad passport.

2 Likes

Mmmm I love the organization by color. Need to line it up better with hue and shade.

1 Like

I seem to recall the British used to have rather large passports before they standardized them world-wide.

I collect foreign coins and pulled some Ethiopian coins out of a 5 for $1 box at a flea market. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out just where they came from–everything on the coins was in Ge’ez script.

On a side note there’s a story that when he was asked why he moved to Sri Lanka Arthur C. Clarke responded, “Forty English winters”. I think he just wanted one of those cool passports.

2 Likes

IBM global services lost a major lawsuit and had to start this process and Oracle followed suit shortly after - not sure if PWC, E&Y, etc have to do this. It obviously hits people who work lots of short projects more than one or two large projects a year - unfortunately I fell into the former case.

The Canadians (I believe) are wary of people coming in and stealing jobs from Canadians - not unreasonably. The first company I worked for instructed people to lie at the border and tell the BP that they were there for pre-sales. I refused to do that and escalated until we got proper paperwork. Oracle has many offices in Canada and the work I do is so specialized I never had an issue - although I would tell them the work was contracted to Oracle Canada and then from there to me.

I got a Nexus card 6 years ago and that was the best thing - now I don’t get quizzed at all on the border.

We did. They were awesome and had a hard cover with a cut out to show the name.

1 Like

I guess we know Florida’s role…

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Poor Myanmar. That passport won’t even get you into Burma nowadays.

5 Likes

I suspect if you calculate passport power against the population (ie against the size of the country), you get an interesting indicator of a country’s global reputation (ie you’re crudely controlling against most other factors like economic trade importance, bigger population supporting more embassies and diplomatic resources, etc)

Srsly?! “Forty English Winters”?

English Winters are about like our March. Rainy. Kinda warm!

Based on just temperature, you’d think I lived in Tromso, Norway. But no, it’s actually colder in the winter here.

Based on the heat in the summer, you’d think I lived in the capital of Sri Lanka, but no, July and June on average are hotter than there.

Goddamn midwest.

4 Likes