Here are three ways the pandemic could play out

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/26/here-are-three-ways-the-pandem.html

8 Likes

The scary thing is that Trump lacks the attention span to keep the third option going

23 Likes

38 Likes

I expect we’ll have a mixture of 2 and 3. We’ll stamp it out in some places, it will run rampant in others. With all the testing NOT happening, number 2 is probably taking place at a rate that’s unknown (although we’re getting better at understanding these numbers) with all the asymptomatic folks.

14 Likes

With increased surveillance and often very tight borders, and both will likely remain long after this crisis.

On a different point, I am glad that a lot of main news sites made the virus-related news free and not behind a paywall. An early analysis warned that a lot of legit news and analyses would stay behind the paywall, while the fake news will remain free.

13 Likes

#4: Declare “We Won!” and issue an Executive Order stating “Pandemic is Over”.

32 Likes
  1. The virus manages to mutate into something worse, retaining its wonderful 2 week incubation and remaining asymptomatic in the 50% of those who would theoretically test positive. => More helicopter money for profitable corporations.
8 Likes

If it’s #3 what will happen when a state is overrun because they haven’t done anything and the next state over is recovering when they did do something about it? The world wide wack-a-mole is possible because of borders, state lines are not as robust.

6 Likes

Mississippi Governor just re-opened all businesses in the State, including GunNut Stores, cuz they’re essential too. Ain’t no virus go’n tell him what to do!

15 Likes

In so many ways, the USA is the worst possible nation to face this. Between our “rugged individualism” (read: rabid self-interest) and our penchant for ignoring any and all facts that conflict with our world view, we’re pretty well screwed and will very likely be keeping the mole as a well-fed pet.

29 Likes

FTFY

16 Likes

If the US keeps up with the current tom-fuckery we’ve been seeing my money is on “border patrol” becoming a key growth employment category in Canada before too long.

10 Likes

So … there will be a lot of properties available in Mississippi in the near future?

12 Likes

I wonder how this will play out in the sale of second hand goods and donations of items to the likes of Goodwill, et cetera.

8 Likes

Biloxi has a beautiful beach, and the fishing is wicked good.

9 Likes

What about tourism:international travel advisories/restrictions are not going to be lifted from the south and possibly the rest of the country until a vaccine. Remember in kindergarten when one kids misbehaving meant the entire class misses recess? Some states don’t…

10 Likes

Can confirm! However, the neighbors are a bit off… (this coming from an actual Florida Man. Take it as you will.)

9 Likes

So I guess this is one way he reduces his base?

5 Likes

15 Likes

Related, Mississsippi is busy trying to keep out the virus from coming in from Louisiana. (although since there are already positive tests in almost every MS county despite less than 3000 tests statewide, that ship has sailed)

6 Likes