A return to 'Pre-coronavirus,' says Fauci, 'might not ever happen'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/06/return-to-pre-coronavirus.html

“Over a period of time we will get a good vaccine,” says Dr. Anthony Fauci

8 Likes

I dearly hope that a functional society isn’t just a pipe dream, at this point.

31 Likes

That was in the before time- long ago.

37 Likes

This is a turning point that I hope we learn from. So no going back…

13 Likes

It would be naive to assume we’re ever going “back” to the way things were. That’s not how historical events of this magnitude work.

It’s like talking about going back to a “pre-Pearl Harbor” or “pre-9/11” or even “pre-1906 Earthquake” way of life, only moreso because the United States has already lost more lives from the coronavirus outbreak than from all three of those events put together and we’re still a long way from seeing the worst of it.

41 Likes

Voters in the U.S. tend to have short memories. Let’s hope that the terrible federal response to this crisis is the exception that they still remember in November.

27 Likes

So what he’s saying is, life can’t “return to normal” until there’s a working vaccine in circulation. Uh, yeah? Did anyone think the current situation would resolve itself in a few months?
I’ve been preparing to isolate for the next year at least… Only leaving the house for grocery shopping, as infrequently as possible, with a mask and gloves, and no other human contact.

6 Likes

I don’t think that’s a pipe dream. What may be a pipe dream (given the present state of our political system) is a properly functioning universal health care system.

6 Likes

Dr. Fauci spends a good part of his day standing next to a big orange buffoon who apparently still thinks the situation will resolve itself within a few weeks at most. So, yes.

34 Likes

I really should have prefaced that with, “Does anyone with a functioning brain think the current situation would resolve itself in a few months?”

18 Likes

We don’t actually have to go back. 45 reminds me of the guy in Idiocracy who convinced the leads that there was a time machine. He wants the restrictions lifted ASAP so he continue his tour of brainwashing rally events and get his supporters chanting about bringing something back that never existed. He’s probably already coined some catchphrase that they’re all better off now than before the pandemic, and can’t wait to train his posse of parrots to repeat it.

18 Likes

Frankly, I did think there was a distinct possibility that they’d just say “Fuck it” and go for herd immunity, damn the torpedoes full speed ahead, and as Ivan Drago would paraphrase “If they die, they die.”

If that happened (or happens), sure , we’ll be back to normal in a few months.

Two or three million less of us, obviously. But it’d be over quick.

2 Likes

I retired (a little early) about 15 years ago and moved to Florida because I like the climate. This is not how I planned to live out my Golden Years. I don’t imagine many of my generation thought this would be their future either. I also hate how this affects younger generations.

24 Likes

Dr. Fauci: “If you want to get to pre-coronavirus, that might not ever happen.”

He adds we will get back eventually to a “functioning” society without the severe social distancing we have right now.

Okay, so… what exactly does that mean, then? That we won’t go back to being completely unprepared for the next pandemic and having complete contempt for the science that could prevent it? That would be great.

18 Likes

This crisis will be very far from “over” by November - we will probably be into the second or third wave of COVID-19 infections and deaths by then. We’ll be well into “Grandma died of the Chinese Virus before she could vote for President Trump again” stories by then.

13 Likes

I have quite a diverse crowd on facebook. Most of the trumpers I know defend him tirelessly, there is always an angle that “proves” he is never responsible for anything that has happened.

14 Likes

True, but the spin from the GOP will be that everything they did was for the greater good - and their base will continue to swallow it hook, line, and sinker.

15 Likes

What’s left of their base.

12 Likes

Fauci has one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel with the tRump Co. / TGOP cult.

11 Likes

I kind of think that’s the direction we’re heading. Trump’s getting itchy, and wants everything opened up, assuming that drugs will magically make everything better. Then we have a real mass pandemic. Problem is, it’ll take more than a few months to get get through, and you never “return to normal” after you’ve killed off a few million people.

16 Likes