Here is the first astonishing image from the James Webb Telescope

Originally published at: Here is the first astonishing image from the James Webb Telescope | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Surprised Cat GIF

28 Likes

I’ve seen that image before… Doctor Who - Clean Peter Davison Opening Titles (1982, Reinstated) - YouTube

11 Likes

…and everyone of a certain age in the UK thinks “that’s just the opening titles for Doctor Who”

16 Likes

Ha! Simulpost!

7 Likes

Does someone have a link to the actual, high-res image? I know that this is an astonishing image, but it’s kid of hard to really digest the scope when every website posts these downscaled jpegs. And yeah, I looked at the NASA site, but it apparently won’t be available until tomorrow? Kind of a weird way to showcase such a profound moment.

7 Likes

There’s a full res TIF here:

there’s a button to download towards the bottom.

I can’t believe I waited a half hour for the press conference to start and all they did was show a tiny pic and then like peace out after 2 minutes

15 Likes

I found it very helpful to compare it with the best Hubble image we have of the same view.

vs

source

and

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-delivers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

31 Likes

Great minds, Scurra. Great minds…

4 Likes

The big show starts tomorrow, 6:45 PST

3 Likes

The gravitational lensing there really is incredible.

8 Likes

I work in the same building as Marcia Reike, the PI for the NIRCam instrument that captured this image. They’re having an image release party tomorrow morning. Do you have any questions you’d like me to ask her?

13 Likes

Obligs:

20 Likes

All those galaxies, billions of light years away, with light so red-shifted they can’t be seen with the human eye. Yet so many still believe that we must be alone in the universe.

13 Likes

People who actually believe that have far too much ego and far too little imagination, IMO.

16 Likes

It’s a pretty picture, but we are looking at an image that was taken entirely in the infra-red. The distant galaxies are probably re-shifted enough that this may be considered a colour correction, but not the nearer ones.

What is the right thing to do here? Once we have squeezed all the science out, we can edit the images for Maximum Pretty, and it hurts no-one. But I like to know what I am looking at.

3 Likes

Good luck with that.

6 Likes

2 Likes

That’s the wrong opening.

4 Likes

Warning: Objects in Webb Mirror are closer than they appear.

9 Likes