Here is the melodica solo you've been asking for -- The Hondells "Hot Rod high" (1964)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/28/here-is-the-melodic-a-solo-you.html

3 Likes

I have no words.

Neither did the performer second from right.

9 Likes

and the reason for no words:

not really a performer.

It’s a great wikipedia article, fwiw

2 Likes

Indeed! a fascinating glimpse into the music biz of the day :notes:

Is it me?

Jebus!

That needs a hardcore chaser…

4 Likes

“We got the best rods in any town”???

Excellent. Would listen to that ten times before anything in the Top 40 now.

Continuing the tradition of having nearly-30-year-olds sing songs about being in high school

2 Likes

It’s so short I almost missed it.

Thanks. That helped.

The top 40 were always mostly shite. But at a certain age you‘re not aware of that, so you think it all went downhill from there. A common misconception.

2 Likes

[/quote]

The top 40 were always mostly shite. But at a certain age you‘re not aware of that, so you think it all went downhill from there. A common misconception.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but I speak as someone who’s mostly enjoyed the Pop Top 40 from the 10 years before I was born, and through the 40 years after. As such, and just for me, the last 10 years have fairly well stunk (though, truthfully, I’m not much of a fan of the 70s either). If I want “artistic” music, I put on something Classical.

Love that the show’s producers chose to simply focus on the near-static image of a guy blowing into a thing, just letting us imagine all that fancy finger-work.

Well, that guy ain’t no Augustus Pablo, that’s for sure.

1 Like

The performance is lip synced, including the solo.
That is an electric organ and not the sound of a melodica.

2 Likes

First, I’d like to say a few words about delicious Dentyne…which isn’t.

That car, not a great hot rod. No hot rod needs a horse.

Dick Clark’s hair looks like some sort of perfectly formed Plasticine. That was some effort put out by his hair people. And his hairline seems to be receding which I don’t remember when he was older?

I want my three minutes back.

Donald Fagen knows his way around a melodica, as for instance “Time Out of Mind”

I’m pretty sure the guy in the buggy was actually in “Beach Blanket Bingo” as one of the gang and not just part of the the talent.

The performance is lip synced

You don’t say.

1 Like

oh wow, I have this on MP3 (probably a SoulSeek/Kazaa acquisition when looking for The Rondells, as no one knew how to type)

And the Rondells did sing about cars, so it sorta made sense…

1 Like