A history of "Afternoon Delight," the "dirtiest song ever to top the Billboard Hot 100"

Originally published at: A history of "Afternoon Delight," the "dirtiest song ever to top the Billboard Hot 100" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Oh man. Dating myself here, but that song was on the radio the summer before I turned 18. I was held as a willing sex slave one week by a girl who kept the radio on all day long. This song is burned into my brain.

27 Likes

“It was one of my favorite songs as a child,” Pelto, now a non-profit executive, told me. “I thought it was about dessert.”

For me, a “tween” at the time, it was the first song I listened to where I immediately thought “Oh my god this is about sex!” Whereas there were other songs that flew right by me for years and years.

13 Likes

Did we ever figure out why they went with “Thinkin of you’s workin up a appetite” instead of “an appetite”?

10 Likes

My kind’a dirty, if ya ask me.

13 Likes

ppphhttt! nothing new
https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/434637/Ohio+Express/Yummy%2C+Yummy%2C+Yummy

7 Likes

Love how they used the dirty nature of that song as a running bit on Arrested Development.

22 Likes

Used in Anchorman to illustrate misogyny the song makes light of pursuits for a tryst in the office with a female coworker. Will Ferrel’s character is called “mental” because he’s going down the path of a relationship instead of one of afternoon delights to the dismay of his male coworkers.

Sky rockets in flight…

19 Likes

“Dirtiest song ever to top the Billboard Hot 100”

Oh, you sweet, innocent child.

45 Likes

My first thought too. Probably the most cringe-worthy scene of the whole series.

8 Likes

29 Likes

I didn’t care what it was about. That damn song puts me right back on the school bus held captive to AM radio. It was not a good scene.

12 Likes

That’s the most '70s I’ve ever seen packed into one video. As for the song, I was in elementary school when it came out and still remember my mother explaining in age-appropriate language what it was really about (I thought it was about food).

15 Likes

For innocent sounding songs obviously about sex, I’m a fan of Fluffy Hunter’s “Walk Right In, Walk Right Out”

9 Likes

Well, now you’ve made me look at The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in a whole new light.

15 Likes

UK #1 when Pope John Paul II was visiting Britain.

22 Likes

One of my Light Crust Doughboys favs is:

5 Likes
24 Likes

I first encountered it in th movie PCU where the protagonists use it as a method of torture for the bicentennial gala attendees by playing it loud on repeat and locking the doors.

I’ve always thought of it as a song that nobody could possibly like. It’s like stumbling across an episode of the Partridge Family and wondering why somebody didn’t burn the original tapes.

5 Likes

I listen to the 70s channel on SiriusXM, what song from the 70s isn’t about sex?

9 Likes