Here is why yellow school buses have those black stripes

Originally published at: Here is why yellow school buses have those black stripes | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I never had to ride the bus to school, but if I had I’d want ClawBoss!

19 Likes

That dude looks like an epic bus driver. The antithesis of Farley (RIP).

14 Likes

Wow, did not know that.

I hated the bus. For middle school we lived at the edges of the district, and were the first picked up and the last dropped off. And the bus had a bully and a kid who smelled like crap who always sat beside me. Motivated me to work as much as possible to buy at car at 16 so I could drive to school.

10 Likes

We brought up our daughter in the belief that the black stripes on school buses were a warning of danger, like wasps. As proof, she could see for herself that the buses ate children, and took them back to their nests,

We left the US before she was of school age, so she never found out anything to the contrary. She is 19 now, and will be very disappointed to hear this explanation. Assuming, of course, that it is true.

27 Likes

Dude! Best bus driver ever!!! :metal:

11 Likes

It confuses the lions depth perception, obviously.

23 Likes

Guy says “don’t quote me on that” … so, your explanation is still correct.
(OK, he talks about the price of the rail, but who would take stuff so literally?!)

3 Likes

I’m gonna guess that he said the rail costs $3000 because that’s what they charged him to replace it, after he wrinkled one while driving the bus.

20 Likes

They mark the bottom, top, and seat level of the seats in the bus so first responders know where to cut when they reach the bus after an accident. They also strengthen the frame.

There, now you don’t have to watch the video.

WE DON’T NEED A VIDEO FOR EVERYTHING.

55 Likes

Surely they are Racing stripe - Wikipedia

2 Likes

TIL!

Of course I had to follow up by finding his video about seatbelts on school buses.

6 Likes

Hail to the Bus Driver!

15 Likes

WE DON’T NEED A VIDEO FOR EVERYTHING.

Fuckin’ ay!

6 Likes

I don’t know why, but I like this gentleman.

10 Likes

School buses have seat belts? Since when? (Mine never did; if there was an accident we’d be meat missiles…)

9 Likes

wow, was it me or was that video chopped up to hell?

2 Likes

School buses fascinate me. They are this incredibly common part of americana that I know almost nothing about. Our district had no buses in general use. They would rent them for field trips and that sort of thing, but not daily. When the topic of school buses came up with my wife’s family early in our relationship I had a bunch of questions about the mechanics of it (how frequent are stops, how do you know where they are) and no one could remember the answers despite all of them riding the buses for more than a decade.

My hero

3 Likes

I love things like this video; the democratization of punditry. Someone telling me something I don’t know is always welcome.

7 Likes

It seems like this has changed a lot since I was a kid. Back in my day my sibling and I walked down the hill to a corner, probably about 1/8 mile away from the house. It was the school bus stop for the area, and there were typically around 10+ or so kids at our stop. Sometimes we’d go early just to hang out. It seems like generally stops were every 1/8 to 1/4 mile apart.
Now where I live, there are a bunch of families on my street, but the bus stops in front of every single house, so the kids don’t hang out together while they wait and it’s way less efficient.
As far as how we’d know where the stop was, I think the school sent something to each enrolled kid’s house in the weeks before the school year started. Same way they’d send a list of things you should have (like notebooks, pencils, etc.).

15 Likes