Why school buses all look alike

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/17/why-school-buses-all-look-alike.html

3 Likes

Season 3 Singing GIF by The Simpsons

10 Likes

What I want to know is why all busses are flat nosed now but you never see flat nosed semis anymore?

2 Likes

my best guess is that flat nosed school busses provide better forward view of kids crossing in front, and so decrease the likelihood of a bus driver crushing a child.

16 Likes

My kids have been enjoying the Netflix reboot of this series.

But here in Australia, school busses are just regular transit busses with “School Bus” instead of the line number and name above the windshield. They have asked questions about the busses of my youth.

3 Likes

It’s probably a regulation thing. The flat, Cab Over Engine design of trucks is standard in Europe and most of Asia, because of limitations on overall vehicle length, and regulations about visibility.

5 Likes

I’ll just leave this here

Are we supposed to read the 75-page document and find the point you’re wanting to make?

6 Likes

I jumped straight to page 58 “Conclusions” so you don’t have to.

TLDR: The driver didn’t stop at the crossing and had a radio playing. Not sure how that relates to the article topic either.

3 Likes

ISTR that the three black lines on the sides of school buses are also a safety feature, as they show the levels of the top of the backrests, the seats, and the floor, for emergency workers. I could be wrong, though.

2 Likes

here ya go

6 Likes

I haven’t been on a school bus for nigh a quarter century. Just the other day I was waiting for a city bus, along with a bunch of kids waiting for their school bus at the same time. The school bus arrived first, stopped right in front of me, and opened its door to reveal this giant staircase. I totally forgot you had to practically climb up into the thing! Maybe it’s a safety feature, or maybe a holdover from the “school wagon” days.

5 Likes

I just learned that the most fabulous Australian transit bus of all time was recently rediscovered and is now slated for restoration.

9 Likes

All school buses look alike. Except for the increasing proliferation of ordinary vans repurposed to be de facto schoolbuses while skirting the Federal regulation’s intent, bearing signs that use a wide variety of synonyms for “School Bus” – “Students on Board”, “Student Transport”, “Child Transport” – but never, ever, the legally regulated words “School Bus.”

School Bus enshittification?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.