Kentucky's 1st school day ends in "disaster" when buses drop kids off at 10pm. Superintendent apologizes (video)

Originally published at: Kentucky's 1st school day ends in "disaster" when buses drop kids off at 10pm. Superintendent apologizes (video) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

What makes me think that a Kentucky school bus drivers aren’t paid a living wage?

39 Likes

District spokesperson Mark Hebert told the paper last week that they were continuing to review the parent requests for changes.

I think I can predict what most of those requests will be over the next couple days. They’ll be or boil down to three words: Fire Marty Pollio!

13 Likes

Sounds like it’s high time for some child labor! /s

14 Likes

The children are already on the bus!

14 Likes

Ll Cool J Chris Odonnell GIF by CBS

15 Likes

Anyone want to bet they use AI to devise the routes?

17 Likes

Starting school at the beginning of August? ugh.

19 Likes

the actual rates are here:

the pay schedule pdf is hard to read. grade 5 ( for bus drivers ) seems to include $20.75 in the 3rd column – like the ad says – but the first number listed is $17.75 ( that might be for part time drivers or starting drivers, not sure. ) no clue if its even all day employment, and note it’s only 185 days a year.

it would be hard to meet your needs for the year; you’d have to have a plan to handle the other 180 days.

eta:

fwiw: mit’s calculator says living wage in jefferson county is $16.17 for an adult with no children. ( for full year employment )

https://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/21111

10 Likes

Probably not? (maybe as an augment) It seems like a classic CS problem to me.

7 Likes

It really smacks of “we offered a pittance that doesn’t keep up with inflation after years of low wages”, doesn’t it?

Everyone wants to get in on the late stage capitalism “starve everything until it barely functions” grift. Clearly, reducing bus routes and stops will get more kids to school on time.

It’s less clear why a school district would do this, unless they are able to re-route money to their management tier or are simply underfunded.

11 Likes

Thinking logically, I agree (it’s a form of the traveling salesman problem), but the availability of AI makes people lose their minds.

9 Likes

Disaster is predictable when the self proclaimed Alphas get involved.

5 Likes

it’s not like they didn’t know when the first day of school was going to happen, so how did they not know they were so unprepared on the day of??

i’m confused, the first paragraph says 96k students, but the AP quote says 65k bus riders. i read that as, 1/3 of students do not take the bus. if so, that’s $3 per student to figure out their bus route? i think there’s got to be a company out there doing this for less…

edit: maybe one of these is a bit less expensive:

3 Likes

Here’s an article with more of a break down: JCPS bus stops, start times among first day of school changes

3 Likes

A lot of local McDonalds managers upset that the kids can’t work the late shift because of these drivers

3 Likes

Right?! We always started the week before or of Labor Day. I’m glad I got almost the whole of summer for summer vacation as a kid.

8 Likes

The district spent $199,000 to hire the AlphaRoute engineering firm to create a plan that would cut the number of bus routes and stops.

License what ever FedEx and UPS use, they will tell you how to get to all those houses in the quickest way with the least amount of buses.

6 Likes

If only there was some way to have a school within… oh lets say a 15 minute walk for every student in a city. That would be grand!

… Why is everyone picking up heavy rocks?
/s

12 Likes

Get your friendly neighborhood slime mold to do it for you.

Slime Mold Can Solve Exponentially Complicated Problems in Linear Time | Biology, Computer Science | Sci-News.com

Easy-peasy!

11 Likes