School brings in cops to teach during COVID-19 staffing shortage

Originally published at: School brings in cops to teach during COVID-19 staffing shortage | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but… are those cops fucking armed?

20 Likes

Beyond the questionable pedagogical credentials; does anyone else think the economics of all this are a bit unsound?

According to their recruitment page; " Starting Officer Salary depending on qualifications: $54,904.66 - $70,745.41"

Unless there has been a seismic shift in that area since last I checked, you could really motivate the substitute teacher market for that kind of money.

35 Likes

Why are the cops unmasked?! Is that how the teachers normally teach, and if so, is that why they’re sick?

39 Likes

“Okay students, so where did your social studies teacher left off at?”

“Civics.”

“…okay, i’m going to skip ahead to the industrial revolution.”

32 Likes

Right?
I’m guessing the school likes this option because it’s essentially “free” to them, since the cops are already paid by the city.
These poor kids, though. I feel like people are making this school stuff way more complicated than it has to be, especially by this point. Make all lessons “remote learning friendly,” offer the option for students to be in school or at home, send project packets to the ones learning from home (for things like poster projects, etc.), and carry on with schooling. If a teacher is teaching from the classroom, set up a camera to share the lecture with remote learners. Stick a large screen TV on the back wall of each classroom so teachers can see their class and all remote learners at once, they’re like $200 a pop. We should have this sorted by now.

18 Likes

When South Park did this, it turned out about how you’d think it would.

12 Likes

American anti-intellectualism on contemptuous display, unmasked and armed.

19 Likes

“Emily’s Glock holds 20 rounds. She shoots a fleeing looter 12 times. How many rounds does she have left?”

23 Likes

48, because she’s got two extra clips, not counting the shotgun in her trunk.

17 Likes

“Trick question Officer Teacher! You didn’t mention the drop gun Emily keeps in her ankle holster to prove she feared for her life!”

I’d be curious what the response would be for a labor shortage going in the opposite direction. Blue flu? Send teachers out to patrol the neighborhood!

20 Likes

It appears that students are unmasked also. That probably explains why Oklahoma is running out of available hospital beds.

22 Likes

Are trunk shotguns still a thing? I thought that trunk AR-15s(or similar AR-pattern rifles) were rapidly displacing them across most of their habitat; with shotguns being driven into the riot-control ecological niche where they hang on because of the number of specialty rounds available in 12 gauge but unavailable or technically infeasible in 5.56mm.

7 Likes

What.

The.

Actual.

FUCK.

30 Likes

You know, I guess it is fine if a cop fills in for a few days with teachers out sick. But do they have to be kitted up?

I mean detectives are on duty in plain clothes. You don’t have to be in uniform all the time.

I dunno, maybe if the kids still watch Paw Patrol, they would get a kick out of it. :confused:

8 Likes

This is Oklahoma. I bet this city, like many many places around the USA, made full weapons kit part of the uniform. Plus, in my experience, cops go around armed even off duty.

14 Likes

I was reading the comments on their Facebook post about this.

Someone pointed out the no masks on the cops or students and wondered which city workers would be next when they run out of healthy cops.

10 Likes

The dumbest professionals you’ll ever meet are Cops. Keep them the hell away from children…

15 Likes

Country so fucked we think that cops are the solution to almost every problem, when they’re the solution to almost zero problems, and the cause of more than a few problems.

12 Likes

I was going to say “trick question!!! Emily always empties her clip”.

9 Likes