"Here There Be Nerds:" Fan Debates

Love the memes he’s cute more just not a huge fan of merch. My childhood stuffed toy was a cheap little no name.

I will concede that maybe we need some wholesome stuff in these dark times.

I like baby yoda much more than jar jar since it’s, you know, not racist

2 Likes

Like all things it is a mixed bag. I wonder how much of it is some of the geeks actually getting to be in positions to influence the corporate takeover as marketers, directors, execs, etc.

One the one hand I don’t have to specifically go to a con or seedy comic book store now to get a Batman shirt. On the other hand they are common enough now that I am meh about buying and wearing one like I did in the 80s.

Like the revolution of the internet for obscure media we no longer have to hunt down the oddities and curiosities. We can just go to the mall or amazon or youtube and find them right away. The special club of being in the know of where movies are showing and when, what shop will carry or order the anime you just heard about, or what club you need to attend to see the new Doctor before it airs on your local PBS station are gone as the media companies know there is a market out there with $$$$ to spend on this stuff they thought was a minor niche market.

While we still have the same nerd wars of ‘the right kind of fan’ we also have the stars of our shows now pushing back on that. I love Star Trek, but man I have always just rolled my eyes at the nerd debates over the technology. It’s cool if that is your thing but please let those of us who just have a lot of fun watching the show do that as well. Plus I (like our wonderful @Mindysan33) have been much more interested in what these stories say about us and how much they reflect or take jabs at the culture of the time they were created in rather than say how the suit of armor, the tractor beam, etc. would work in real life.

Even the massively hollywood marketed things like the Avengers have some interesting themes about our modern world running through them. They are not deep or necessarily meaningful ones but they are there along with the pulpy two fisted movie matinee fun we have been having since the days of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

4 Likes

Amazingly, there’s little-to-no Baby Yoda merch at all (yet). The showrunners basically forbid Disney from making any merchandise out of fear of leaking the big reveal of the character. Now that he’s the breakout star, they’re scrambling to make something but so far all there are are some rather crappy t-shirts and some very cute socks.

3 Likes

yes, this is certainly part of it (Kevin Smith, Joss Whedon, tons of people who ended up working on the current Doctor Who run).

Yes, I think that one thing the article does point out is the division between those who collect and those who transform the culture to make something new, traditionally speaking. So, I think you’re showing yet another traditional division, between those who want the technology to make sense and those who are interested in pinning down what something says about us as a society/species at a particular point in time.

I was wondering about that! How could they have NOT known…

Fortunately, I think the fandom is making plenty of Baby Yoda merch of their own…

4 Likes

Anybody want to continue this? :rofl:

8 Likes

When you unravel the assassination plot against Kosh in the pilot, it leads back to another Vorlon (Ulkesh or Koch Vader) on Minbar, as a way of getting their hands on Jeffery Sinclair and getting his mind right for when he goes back as Valen. Obviously they have some pretty extreme factions, we never really get the full story of what the Vorlons and Shadows are all about.

eta: Which is good! Elder alien races should be pretty cryptic. If you explain them too much, the next thing you know, they’ll be serving on Earth Alliance ships and mating with humans. :thinking:

4 Likes

Pretty sure that’s a direct quote from Tucker Carlson describing Antifa and Black Lives Matter :wink:

4 Likes

Considering the source…

7 Likes

They did use Jack the Ripper as their Gom Jabber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiiLehA-U5g.

5 Likes

Yeah, i think this is key and something that’s foreshadowed :wink: and explained quite nicely in season one’s Mind War. The younger races of the galaxy are but just ants to them and have no compunction to using them to sow chaos up until the point all the younger races bit back and told them to get the hell out of our galaxy. As for the Vorlons, wasn’t Kosh a bit of an outlier here in that he had a quaint fascination with those funny little corporeal beings and became quite fond of them.

4 Likes

The First One, Lorien said that he thinks he met Kosh once, implying that Kosh has been around a long time. (No wonder the Vorlons have such a “Obey your elders!” chip of their … wings.)

4 Likes

And we got even less detail on the other First Ones.

" ZOG "
" Zog? Zog What? Zog yes, Zog no. What does it mean? "

I think the Walkers were all about deadly Tiki rum drinks, prove me wrong!

images

6 Likes

We bought a knockoff Lego launchpad kit from China for our Saturn V rocket so you don’t have to

3 Likes

Okay, nerd war:

Best Star Trek Series Title Sequence
  • Original
  • Next Generation
  • Deep Space 9
  • Voyager
  • Enterprise
  • Discovery
  • Picard

0 voters

Madam Mrs The Ratel has a…controversial position. I’m wondering just how.

5 Likes

Is it Enterprise!?!

3 Likes

Very tough one. I could have gone with ST:OS, ST:NG, ST:DS9, or ST:V. I think I ended up going with ST:NG because that’s the series I watched when I was old enough to get it. The Original Series, I was just too young for it to stick. I am surprised there isn’t more love for Voyager or DS9.

2 Likes

Looking at the votes I think people are treating this as a poll on the best series. Personally I don’t think Voyager is the best series but it has the most exciting title sequence.

Similarly Enterprise has a very good title sequence, it’s just not very Star Trek and therefore loses a few points in my book. Edit: The same could probably be said for Picard, actually

3 Likes

I’d vote Lower Decks if it were an option…

I mean, I love TNG… is it just because of Picard’s voice over? Also, I do like the Discovery opening and am surprised no one voted for it (I’m always a DS9 girl).

6 Likes

I love Picard’s voiceover, too. But watching for the Enterprise emerging out of the stars in the opening credits of the OS brings me back to my childhood. We’d watch the reruns and try to pinpoint the exact moment when you could spot it.

I liked the opening visuals of Enterprise, but the vocals… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes