"Here There Be Nerds:" Fan Debates

Okay, I’ll play.

Sisko vs. Sheridan: I see Sheridan starting one of his passionate, inspiring speeches… which Sisko interrupts with a right hook to the jaw, much like how he dealt with Q.
Winner: Sisko, by TKO.

Kira vs. Ivanova: This is probably the most difficult one for me. Kira’s been a freedom fighter practically her whole life. Ivanova’s lived through her own share of wars and tragedies. I’d imagine it would be one hell of a bar fight, wrecking the whole place… but I wouldn’t want to bet against Ivanova. (Okay, I just like her more.)
Winner: Ivanova, just barely.

Bashir vs. Franklin: This would probably be the least of the conflicts, since they share a common interest in medicine. Bashir has enhanced intelligence due to genetic manipulation, so I see him winning a war of words… after that, the two of them would undoubtedly find themselves collaborating on some medical project (with Bashir asking Franklin for tips on his success with the ladies.)
Winner: Bashir

Founders vs. Shadows: The Founders don’t see any single-shaped race as their equals, so they’d start out arrogantly… and that overconfidence would lead them to their doom. The Shadows are an advanced species… and what good does shapeshifting do against an enemy you can’t even see?
Winner: Shadows

3 Likes
2 Likes

Science nerd (one of my fandoms!). This is pretty cool evidence for complexity far earlier than previously thought.

5 Likes

I dunno, Sheridan did his share of punching, and Sisko his share of inspiring speeches. I place them on pretty much equal footing. Coin toss. And then beers in the Zócalo (cheaper than Quark’s and more than one bar).

Agree. Ivanova has the physical edge here.

Pre-walkabout, Bashir. Franklin was not much of a fighter, despite having a war hero for a father. After his walkabout, he would be more of a dirty fighter. Assuming they fight at all. Otherwise their medicinal knowledge is from different xenobiologies.

Yep. Both the Shadows and the Vorlons would basically splat the Founders. There were not only technological but also mental gulfs between the two. The Vorlons and the Shadows were much, much more ancient than the Founders were. Sheridan did not so much beat them as convince both of them that it was time to move on.

1 Like

Captain Sisco or Captain Sheridan: Sisko if only because he probably knows some Klingon moves thanks to Dax.

Major Kira or Commander Ivanova: Kira this could be close, but Ivanova is all fit and polish and by the book. Kira gre up as a resistance fighter under a brutal regime…street fighter will cheat to win.

Doctor Bashir or Doctor Franklin: Bashir because he is actually genetically enhanced.

Shapeshifters or Shadows: Shadows I have no real clue, just figured I’d give Bab5 a win.

1 Like

But in such navies, the commander of the ship is usually given the courtesy of being called “Captain” even if they are actually a Commander or whatever.

So you’d write to him as Commander Sisko but address him as Captain. Assuming a space station counts as a ship and why wouldn’t it?

That’s not bothering to go into the custom of giving marine Captains a courtesy promotion to Major in order to not to confuse everyone too much.

Presumably very carefully and with appropriate climate control…

5 Likes

I disagree with Ivanova being a “by the book” character. Multiple times in the series, she has to gain her objectives via less-than-direct means. She keeps an illegal coffee plant in Hydroponics; she hacked into station communications to speak with her dying father (and nearly got it past Garibaldi, the paranoid security chief!) When a visiting alien diplomat demands sex to settle a deal, she tricks him into thinking human sex is a silly dance ritual. She ends the Drazi green/purple civil war by taking advantage of a loophole in the rules, and she manipulates the First Ones into joining the war on their side. While she highly values rules and regs, she’s sneakier than she seems, and I think that would translate into giving Kira a very hard time. But I’m biased, since I’ve been watching B5 on Comet lately and she’s always been a favorite character of mine.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Um, guys - did we just miss towel day?

6 Likes

Guy’s got a point. Solo: A Star Wars Story wasn’t terrible but nobody walked out of it saying “from now on Alden Ehrenreich is the actor I’ll think of whenever I hear the name ‘Han Solo.’”

2 Likes

Maybe, but Disney brought back Peter Cushing after he died so I think that Luke probably knows the score:

2 Likes

2f44za

6 Likes

Got a special cast-only preview visit to “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge” in Disneyland yesterday courtesy of @Otherbrother. I gotta say, getting to sit in the pilot’s seat of the Millenium Falcon and throw the switch to engage the Hyperdrive was just as fun as one would imagine. Damn it feels good to be a smuggler.

We weren’t allowed to bring cameras (all attendees had to keep their cell phones sealed in opaque pouches for the duration of the visit) but I took a few notes on paper, which was enough to earn me a brief-but-stern questioning by a passing stormtrooper.

We lucked out with admission to the cantina, they gave us a table right next to the D.J. droid (who Disneyland veterans may recognize as a certain reprogrammed pilot droid from the original Star Tours ride).

cantina

8 Likes

Loved the book, watched the first 2 episodes and they are very faithful to the book. Hard to get used to Dr. Who as a demon, though!

9 Likes

I enjoyed it very much. I saw enough Jessica Jones to get used to Doctor Who being evil. It’s much weirder for me to see Charles McGill being Scottish…

5 Likes

Alas, another Cult SF TV Star has passed.

and as a reminder of his awesomeness is the brutal AF for British TV ending to Blake’s 7

7 Likes

so i’m watching star trek on netflix, finished tng and ds9 onto voyager. how many fucking shuttlecraft do they have? they seem to blow one up every episode. they’re rationing the replicators, but they blow up shuttlecraft like they’re skeet - it’s madness jerry!

4 Likes

I’m so envious, you have no idea. I’m very much looking forward to listening to DJ REX in Oga’s Cantina before hopefully piloting the Falcon. And then, most likely, spending far too much money on souvenirs. (The boyfriend can basically sight-read Aurebesh, so you can get an idea of the level of geekery in my household)

3 Likes

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/inconsistencies-voy.htm

Potential spoilers, but more dedicated people than I have gone and counted up exactly how many of Voyager’s limited shuttle craft got blown up, and how many of their limited, impossible to reproduce photon torpedoes found up getting fired off.

Another Voyager fun-fact, (which I don’t really blame the show-runners for) is that the stated crew compliment of the ship is so small, and it ran for so many seasons, the number of named crewmembers across their run is greater than their crew compliment.

You might also enjoy the works of SFDebris https://www.sfdebris.com/ who has a special “Burn Baby Burn” award whenever Voyager destroys a shuttlecraft.

ETA: Ex Astris Scientia posts about stuff like Voyager inconsistencies can get a little… nerd-ragey in places for my tastes, but the site is amazing if you’re into stuff like bridge layout cutaways, prop closeups, uniforms, set photographs of the starship models, etc. It’s an amazing resource.

3 Likes

I think it was explicitly stated somewhere that Voyager had an original crew of 141 when they left port but by the end of the pilot episode several of the original crew had died and they’d taken on a significant but unstated number of Maquis. So it’s possible the ship was actually carrying a much larger crew than it was originally intended to for much of the show’s run.

1 Like