"Here There Be Nerds:" Fan Debates

The funny thing is that Madam Mrs The Ratel loathes Rod Stewart*, who was obviously the first choice for the vocals, and, “I GOH FAYATH OF TH’ HAUAT!”. I think the visuals are probably competitive for best, but let’s face it, that song is what inspired Netflix engineers to come up with the Skip Intro button. I think there’s some nostalgia going on for the halcyon days when we thought everything was terrible because of George Bush.

* I mean, not Rod Stewart personally, he seems like a nice enough guy, just his music.

6 Likes

I thought Rod Stewart was really nice. Met him in a pub in Frankfurt back in '97. We were just watching a football game on the telly (Newcastle United vs someone else, I dont remember who) with maybe three other people in the place. We watched the match and downed our pints for the two hours or so. Had a nice chat. 10/10, would do again.

9 Likes
5 Likes

When the song was first recorded it actually was rod Stewart. The enterprise cover used Russell Watson for the vocals. I am one of the minority who actually likes the song. Except for when they changed it in s3.

3 Likes

How was I not aware of this?!?

A.K.A. DS9 [dodges thrown tomatoes]

ETA: Dana Carvey makes a better Khan than Benedict Cumberbatch!

12 Likes

Thanks for posting. I’d forgotten about how funny that one was. And it still works!

5 Likes

Did you see The Wrath of Farrakhan?

5 Likes

I have, My Sister!

(Edited)

4 Likes

Ah, yes, that’s the skit where, “You’re outta your Vulcan mind!” came from.

4 Likes

You mean other than TOS (Gamesters of Triskelion) or in Wrath of Khan? (ok, McCoy said both of those and Kirk in that sketch)

3 Likes

20 Likes

13 Likes

Took me a second…

8 Likes

Back to the Future 's Biggest Questions Are Answered in Doc Brown’s DeLorean Owner’s Manual

7 Likes
8 Likes

Nice. When I was I kid we went to Universal Studios once, and you could “talk” to “KITT”. They had a Trans-am/cylon offspring interestingly at the end of a walkway in the middle of a pond. I guess to make it seem like there wasn’t a person on the end of a, um, radio? Eight-year-old me was totally into it except that there was a fairly considerable line, and really, he’d never struck me as someone I wanted to shoot the shit with.

Instead I got to pick up one corner of the A-Team truck (they had the truck Mr. T would lift for tire changes: really fun, it was basically made out of rubber).

5 Likes

The gimmick still works!

6 Likes

The new Loki series trailer is out and it looks like it’s going to spend a lot of time with a secretive timeline-monitoring authority similar to the one in The Umbrella Academy.

Also it looks like Loki was the hijacker known as Dan Cooper, so that’s kind of fun.

7 Likes

That does look delightfully unhinged, although it’s kind of a shame we will have none of the development of Loki’s character that came after the New York scuffle. I believe the authority he’s got mixed up with is the Time Variance Authority. I’m also getting some Legion vibes off this.

Also looking forward to the WandaVision series.

4 Likes

When I’m hiking through the PNW woods, I’m always on the lookout for bags of cash. :smiley: Now I’ll also keep an eye out for a faint blue glow…

It’s possible these side stories are going to be more interesting than the Avengers - and I’m a fan of the movies.

5 Likes