Here's a catch-up article on the rise of the QAnon far-right conspiracy theory

Slowly I turned… toward fascism!

3 Likes

(I meant in the sense how, in the past, the mention of [that name] has brought all sorts of new colleagues out of the woodwork, just asking questions.)

3 Likes

Not in this corner of the internet, I hope.

1 Like

Oh, I know. And those new comrades are at least halfway through that slow turn if they’re joining to defend Jordaddy [Off-topic: my impression, by the way, is that his popularity has been on the wane since he got sick. His daughter tried to continue his grift but it didn’t take, either.]

Unfortunately, they do show up here, mostly in response to FPPs rather than the comments. There was one particularly toxic one a year or two back.

3 Likes

I’ve long suspected it’s the real reason BoingBoing still has a Facebook page.

2 Likes

Charles Stross wrote something about them some years ago, but I can’t find among all the arseholes attacking him for writing negative things about the Dark Enlightenment. This might be it, but I remember something longer

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/11/trotskyite-singularitarians-fo.html

NRx, Q, Trumpism, Brexit, they are all just facets of reactionary politics. Dangerous to all but conforming straight white cis men, which isn’t the same as saying they are all conforming straight white cis men. You will always get some turkeys who vote for Christmas.

5 Likes

Yep, that (sadly) pretty much lines up with what that almanac had to say.

2 Likes

It’s an perennial story.

Here’s a report of the latest flareup, about two weeks ago.

In a rare display of internal strife, the opinion department of The Wall Street Journal openly antagonized the paper’s news staff Thursday by publishing a tersely worded note to readers just days after it found itself on the receiving end of a sharply worded critique signed by hundreds of newsroom employees.

Turmoil inside the buttoned-up newsroom had been brewing for more than a month before the clash spilled into the view of the paper’s readership.

The latest skirmish started Tuesday, when nearly 300 of The Journal’s news staff members sent a letter to the paper’s publisher, Almar Latour, condemning the opinion desk’s “lack of fact-checking and transparency.”
The letter cited several examples of essays published by the opinion section, which is operated separately from the newsroom, that included factual errors, among them a June 16 article by Vice President Mike Pence. The essay, with the headline “There Isn’t a Coronavirus ‘Second Wave,’” was ultimately corrected. The letter highlighted how the newsroom’s own reporting more than a week earlier was at odds with Mr. Pence’s claims.

… (it’s a longish article)

The WSJ’s “Note to readers” was subheaded with " These pages won’t wilt under cancel-culture pressure". Incidentally, it’s free to consume, unlike the more truthful articles in the news sections.

On a larger note, one of the critiques of journalism in the united states is that labor rights are not as well covered as they used to be. Has this trend been bucked by the WSJ?

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve really seen the newsroom staff go public with their dissatisfaction over the lunatic cousins in the op-ed attic. I knew reporters and editors there back in the 1990s and while they grumbled at parties and worried that they were damaging their careers they never did something like this.

I put it down to the times and the need to declare a side as right-wing populism rises again.

They’ve arguably covered labour rights to a greater extent than other major news outlets. Of course, they’re mainly treating them as something to be crushed (per the core audience’s wishes), but they’re not pretending they’re not something on the minds of workers.

3 Likes

Paywalls are only necessary (and effective) as long as we treat ideas as property. Once we find other ways to pay for a writer’s work (w.g. an UBI), we will no longer need paywalls.

We’ll probably have to eat the rich for that to happen, though. I’m a vergetarian, but I’m prepared to make an exception for a noble cause.

Cory had an interesting piece on his blog about the new Everything is a Remix video and i have to say it made me feel marginally better after watching it so i’d recommend giving it a watch. Delving into this stuff even superficially makes me think these fuckers are gonna get us all killed with their ignorance and stupidity and the despair seeps in but… i dunno, the vid gives me a bit of hope that sanity will prevail and things like this might, just might, help us reclaim those who have been lost to the mind-worms.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.